General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Models

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts
Default 2013 Softail Models

Anyone here with a 2013 Softail model want to provide some feedback on your new ride? And looking for feedback on anyone with the Softail Slim. Also just general information on the engines, powertrain and such.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I gots me the bike you are interested in. What do you wanna know specifically? So much to say, don't know where to start.

In a nutshell, I haven't been able to stop riding it since I bought it.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I gots me the bike you are interested in. What do you wanna know specifically? So much to say, don't know where to start.

In a nutshell, I haven't been able to stop riding it since I bought it.
How do you like the way it handles and feels. Sat on one at the dealership and seemed like it would be a comfortable ride. I am just average height (5-8) and weight (150) but seems like it fit me fine. Didn't have to stretch for anything on it.

Have you done the Stage1? Is it needed?

Have you added a passenger backrest (want one for the wife and makes her feel more secure for those times she is on the back)? Looks like to add a detachable passenger back rest requires the turn signals to be relocated. Since the license plate is attatched behind the left side turn signal, what happens to that.

Are there any issues with the drivetrain that I would need to be aware of (you know kinda like what riders were finding out about trannys on some of the 06 models)?

And am I correct in understanding that they finally did away with the plastic chain tension inside the cam gear area? What have they done instead? Is it reliable or will I need to think about eventaull just going to a straight gear driven set up?

This is still in the early stages of thinking about actually buying a new bike (modern iron) as opposed to a new to me bike from the 65 pan to the 84 shovel).

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Gotcha.

First thing I'd do is refer you to this thread, which is kinda an eye candy thread on the Slims, but also useful for general info: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-pics-29.html

Then I'll try to answer what I can. I know about half the answers. haha.

Handle, and feel. To me, the handling is superb with the low center of gravity on the bike. The rear tire is deliberately "Slim" on this scoot, and I am in the camp that actually think that helps over a big fat rear tire. You're gonna scrape the floorboards on some turns, but I'm sure that's something an experienced, I take it, Panhead rider like you would really dig. I do.

I'm 5'9'', about 180, have about 5 weeks on the bike, and it already feels like part of me. I don't think any Harleys are as nimble, other than the Sportys.

Haven't done the Stage 1 yet, but I'm at 850 miles and will do it on my 1k service. Have already ordered some Vance and Hines slip ons and am still looking into the air unit. I probably won't get that elaborate here, just something that breaths a bit better over stock. (When you go to the thread linked above, you'll see a lot of guys who are definitely more ambitious in this category.) I wouldn't say it NEEDS a Stage 1. But louder pipes can save lives, and let's face it, we all like better performance.

My seating is right now the stock seat, which is actually pretty damned nice, and the HD pillion made for this bike. However, I have the Harley spring solo seat on the way, and after looking at some pictures of the mounting hardware, I think I can find a way to keep the pillion on the rear fender, even though Harley says the two are not compatible. In that thread, you'll read me discussing how to do this.

The sissy bar definitely has a good work around where you won't have to relocate the LP mount if you don't want to. A few Ebay sellers (good feedback) offer a bar that has been machined (a couple of metal tabs removed I understand) so no relocation is needed. Or, you can buy the Harley bars that fit the bike, and have them machined yourself. A few guys have done it in that thread. They have a grinder. I don't. If you prefer the relocation, your LP is gonna end up down at swingarm level, lettering vertical, which can look cool too.

So far my tranny is super solid. Closer to 1K miles, the whole bike is breaking in nicely and I haven't had a single mechanical issue at all. Thing is as reliable as a Honda Accord so far. (Sadly, my cage.)

Plastic chain question is over my head, and I don't want to talk out of my **** trying to answer. I'm sure the other guys on the thread linked could help on that one.

The first bike I learned to ride on was my buddy's old Pan, believe it or not. I still trip out that he let me ride it. haha. Much respect for those. Nothing like them.

The new ones are a different ride, as I'm sure you know. But still pure Harley. People are always eye ballin my Slim like it's Bo Derek, and mine is still pretty much stock, which seems kinda boring to me.

Though, I wouldn't want to gussy it up too much. I love the stripped down, throwback, bobber vibe of the bike. You'll see in that thread that a lot of guys have played up to that, adding bicycle style grips, white walls, spring solo seats, etc. Some have tricked it out in a totally modern direction. Both look great. I'm going the vintage direction myself, because I'm practically vintage. haha.

Good luck on your choice.

Last edited by SoCalSoftailSlim; 11-28-2012 at 05:12 PM.