General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
No
64.29%
Yes
35.71%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy Harley if they were assembled overseas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Would you buy Harley if they were assembled overseas?

I used to be in the IAM
Now I'm a Teamster

Machinists Slam Harley 'Betrayal'
WASHINGTON, Feb 01, 2007 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- More than 2,700 Machinists union members at Harley-Davidson in York, PA, were forced out of their workplace today after voting to reject a contract that union leaders called a betrayal to workers at the iconic company.
"Harley-Davidson has no business behaving like they're on the brink of bankruptcy," said Tom Buffenbarger, international president of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM).

"When Harley was flat on its back in the 1980's, it was union members who refused to let it die. Harley went on to become an international success story but they've obviously forgotten how they got this far."

"They don't respect workers as much as their stock options," declared District 98 Directing Business Representative Tom Boger about company leaders who reported record revenue of more than $1.6 billion for the third quarter of last year.
Harley proposed pay increases that would go into effect in 2008 and 2009, but only if workers agreed to pay more for health care costs.
"These workers build pride into every motorcycle Harley sells and they deserve a fair contract that reflects the success they helped create," said Buffenbarger. "Instead, this company's management is risking a successful 26- year partnership for a few cents more in profits. It's incredibly stupid and shortsighted."
The contract with Harley-Davidson expires on February 2 at 12:01 am. Strike preparations are underway.
Founded in 1888, the IAM is among the largest industrial trade unions in North America, representing nearly 700,000 active and retired members in transportation, aerospace, woodworking, shipbuilding and manufacturing sectors. For more information about the IAM, visit their website at http://www.goiam.org.
SOURCE International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers

Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Matrix

Would you buy another Harley Davidson motorcycle if they were assembled overseas?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matrix

Because I am an American UNION Chemical Plant Process Operator.

I beleive in AMERICAN LABOR and because I have the right to Choose, regaurdless of what I own that is not assembled in America.

Amen brother. I am a proud member of the IBEW and also believe in American labor, the American worker and yankee ingenuity. I refuse to shop at Walmart and anytime I can I will choose American products. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

Hey Matrix would you have married your wife if she had a *****??? Gimme a break at least Anubusss threads ask
pertinant questions.[sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I hope I never have to find out

Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You live in the USA, you should support the few companies that still manufacture in the USA. Not to mention the jobs for American workers......gotta keep this economy goin
Dick

Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

MCSarge, give me a break dude! Just because your wife told you that every woman has one doesn't mean that they all do (LOL). Just joking!

What I would like to do with this is maybe after the poll is up and running for a while I will copy the link to this page and post it on the York Plant's Union's web site. Anything to help out a UNION BROTHER!!!

Give me a break Sarge!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

Hey Matrix would you have married your wife if she had a *****??? Gimme a break at least Anubusss threads ask
pertinant questions.[sm=forgetit.gif]
HE-HE-HE
Dick

Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Radical
Tourer

I've owned Metrics and Harley's and the one major reason I came back to Harley at this point was because I was pissed at all the manufacturing going to China and other places. I live in a free country that is slitting it's own throat through cheap overseas labor and don't give me that global market crap. I no longer trust those in power to help but do trust that Harley has it's manufacturing roots in place and understands integrity. If they lose their integrity they lose the very customer base that made them successful not too mention all the other crap we already buy marked "Harley" and produced somewhere else. Maybe we accept the leather jacket made overseas but take my bike there and I'll keep my money at home and not buy the product as I don't want my bike adorned inchromed plastic.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to let you know, my responce was not based on Harley being a union shop, I could care less if they are union. It has nothing to do with a strike.

It has everything to do with an American V-twin between your legs rumbling down the road.
The brotherhood and loyalty of HD owners, all over the world.

Build the bike outside the U.S. and you will divide this loyalty. It would never be the same.

Of course, this is just one mans opinion.

Quick Reply: Would you buy Harley if they were assembled overseas?