General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first long ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:21 AM
lemhead16
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first long ride

Hi guys,

I am trying to plan my first long trip from Boise, ID to Zions national park and back in about 4 or 5 days. I need to make a stop in SLC to meet with a few friends who are going to ride with me.

Does any body know a route that doesn't take I-15 all the way there and back? It is a sight seeng trip so back roads are good with me.

How about some tips on how to pack for a long motorcycle trip and any other tips?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Josh

I posted in roadtrips but it doesn't get much traffic

Old 02-03-2007, 01:38 AM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain
Default RE: first long ride

Josh,
Packin for a long trip all depends on the type of bike you have. Do you have a bagger, or a bike with saddle bags or are you going to strap a backpack on the back of your scoot? I've taken trips as long as 35 days and found out that the more room you have to take thing the more crap you take.

If I were you sit down and make a list of the absolute things you need, then add the creature comforts. Take a pair of walking shoes and a swim suit just to mention a couple things. When I pack for a long trip I roll up everything I'm taking as tightly as I can get it and then use rubber-bands to hold them tight.This way the clothing takes up much less room in my bags. I also putthe next days riding cloths, (T-shirt, underware & socks)in a sandwich size ziplockbag. This way when I take my dirty cloths off I have a convenient bag to put them in.

You should take a small tool kit if you have room along with a rain suit and rubber boots if your riding boots aren't waterproof. Take a camera for sure along with you helmet and sun screen.

The list is endless so just decide what you really need and start packing.

Have fun...

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/B035FF3C50B74B94A8CFB1D4FDF328C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

I also putthe next days riding cloths, (T-shirt, underware & socks)in a sandwich size ziplockbag.
You must be a really Lil Truckr... I couldnt fit all that even in a quart bag!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:18 AM
Lil Truckr
Road Captain

LOL...I would venture a bet that my t-shirts and underwear are bigger then yours any day.

And yes, you can fit our size t-shirts, undies and socks in a sandwich size Ziploc bag if you roll them very, very tightly and use a rubber band to hold them together. I've been doing this when I pack for long trips for years. I've found that it saves tons of room in whatever I'm using to pack the stuff into plus it keeps the cloths dry in the event of crappy riding weather.

L.T.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21506/CC558FFF70914A4C93D4F335E3AF0D13.jpg[/IMG]