General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will modern bikes fare in the collector's market 50 years from now?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Default How will modern bikes fare in the collector's market 50 years from now?

Hey, guys. I hope we can get an interesting discussion going on this. I like to follow the vintage Harley collector's market, and it has made me wonder - how collectible will the bikes we buy today be in 50 years? What will make some bikes stand out over others? How will the mods that we make today be looked upon 50-75 years from now?

In today's market of flats, knucks, and pans, originality seems to be king. Wealthy collectors pay big money for unmolested bikes, original paint, etc.

But now we have a totally different industry with countless aftermarket parts and accessories, in addition to something else that there wasn't much of 75 years ago - "HD Genuine Motor Accessories." Guys today put more money into their rides than ever before, but will the modified survivors be worth more or less than bikes that will remain stock with factory correct components?

I hope to keep my RK to pass down through the family. But I look at it and wonder, will the mods that I've made hurt the value when someone decides to sell after I'm gone? Will the chrome front end detract from value? Aftermarket handlebars? Or in my case, removing the leather saddlebags and having hard bags painted to match my factory paint scheme? Will "HD Genuine Motor Accessories" add to value more than other aftermarket manufacturers? Or will all the mods we make today be looked upon favorably, as period correct modifications?

What about bikes produced in small numbers or only made for a few years? Will CVO bikes have a big following? What about models like the Rocker or Crossbones that saw limited production years?

How about the "custom colors" that Harley puts out every year? In 2010, my color combo was a "custom color" option priced extra from standard solid color bikes. Will these bikes be more desirable?

Will engine mods like the Fuel Moto 107" kit hurt value over a completely stock engine, or something like a factory 103" upgrade?

And a bigger question - how will electronics affect collectibility? Will the electronically controlled engine and ABS brakes hurt the market for these bikes? No specialized equipment is needed to work on an old Harley. But in the future, a restorer will need to have numerous electronic gadgets to work on a bike manufactured today, for things as simple as bleeding ABS brakes.

Obviously a lot of unknowns here and lots of questions but just trying to give plenty of food for thought. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

stock will always be more desirable.. there will always be a lot more cobbled together customs continuing to be built, for every modification or custom build, there is one less original bike available.
i don't think modern bikes will ever have as much of a following as pre 70's do.they lost the artistic soul when everything got cheaply mass made along with complicated mechanics and electronics. just look at anything built in the 80's, the cars and bikes are technically antiques now, still not much demand for them. collectors want something simple and beautiful. that just doesn't exist anymore, everything is disposable.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

Also consider engine options. Lots of collector's flock to first year knuckleheads and panheads. And some to the last year an engine was available. Will final year EVOs be sought after? Hard to imagine a Twin Cam as collectible, but will first year TC models be more desirable than others, or will things much documented like cam chain tensioner issues push people to searching for 2007-later TC bikes? What about things like the improved frame change on '09-later touring models - more desirable than previous years?

Will great-grandkids search for Street Glides because pop used to ride one? Hard to think of modern bikes as collectible, but one day they will be relics.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Don't see it, they ain't built to last like the older models. Just like cars, do you think the Toyota Prius will be a collectors item. Damn little built today that would survive and become a collectors choice.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,555 Likes on 5,152 Posts

One or two trendsetters of limited production may but the rest just to many of them and not enough difference in production years. Old or even rare does not make it worth much. There has to be something special news worthy and really rare.
See no future in hanging on to one as an investment.

1965 Rambler Marlin interesting rare made 1 year not worth much.
1969 Honda Cb 750 trend setter old no gold mine.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

I understand what you're saying, but I wouldn't equate a Prius to a Harley. There may be more made now, but it is still a high quality machine.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Cousy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smitty901
See no future in hanging on to one as an investment.
In the late 60s and 70s no one saw the value of Plymouth Superbirds, Hemi powered Mopars, the Mustang Mach 1, or 427 Corvettes either. Today we see many selling for over a quarter of a million dollars. A common sentiment among my family members is wishing they would have hung onto all the old muscle cars that they used to own. They never thought about them being collector's items either.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,551 Likes on 4,606 Posts

I expect mine to be worth $200,000-300,000 dollars!!! mine is very rare, and is a very special color!! (arrestmeorange). And its one year before anniversary models, which is the most desirable, (ask any pre anniversary bike owner!!) I will sell it cheap right now!! invest in your grandchilds future!!! $50,000 cash will get your child a fantastic college education!!

Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you really honestly think there will be a USA by then? really? hope youre not just crusing alone thinking everything is all fine and everyone is in happy land....

new national anthem

Old 12-10-2012, 03:59 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,551 Likes on 4,606 Posts

Originally Posted by HOG_0308
do you really honestly think there will be a USA by then? really? hope youre not just crusing alone thinking everything is all fine and everyone is in happy land....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

new national anthem
actually, I really think Jesus wil have come back by then, and the crap will have hit the fan, bike values won't be the main concern!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How will modern bikes fare in the collector's market 50 years from now?