Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   $20 a bolt, yeah right (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/830252-20-a-bolt-yeah-right.html)

gnewman 12-13-2012 06:38 PM

$20 a bolt, yeah right

Im working on mounting an old school luggage rack and called HD parts this morning to get the specs on the well nuts they sell (part 8099). HD wanted about $2.50 a well nut and for the 1/4 20 chrome bolts they want $20 bucks each. So that would put me back $90ish for the four mounts I'm making. Yeah right HD!! Lol

Long story Short, I got the well nuts at lowes for a buck each and found boltdepot.com which had the bolts and washers chromed for 13 bucks. They do get you on shipping but oh well. Should have them in a few days and will post back on the quality of the chrome.

Harley Tim 12-13-2012 07:50 PM

Google "ARP" (American Racing Products). They carry/market an exstensive inventory of polished and black anodized stainless hardware that exceeds grade 8.

I use them in a 12-point design to eliminate those POS Torx bolts. They aren't cheep but, they aren't no $20.00 a pop! And, they are "Top shelf" American engineered/manufactured.

Works for me...

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

CB024 12-13-2012 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Harley Tim (Post 10659255)
Google "ARP" (American Racing Products). They carry/market an exstensive inventory of polished and black anodized stainless hardware that exceeds grade 8.

I use them in a 12-point design to eliminate those POS Torx bolts. They aren't cheep but, they aren't no $20.00 a pop! And, they are "Top shelf" American engineered/manufactured.

Works for me...

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Good info!! Thanks Tim.

gnewman 12-13-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Harley Tim (Post 10659255)

Works for me...

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Thanks Tim. I'd pay a little more for better than grade 8.

j1mmy 12-13-2012 11:18 PM

all the hardware i buy is from Menards. stainless or chrome. only place cheaper is the bolt supply building.. it is easier to just run down the street most of the time. haven't found a bolt they don't carry yet.

big papa AZ 12-14-2012 01:33 AM

I bought one of these sizers so I could figure out what HW I needed, and order it online...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61UvgRs5KbL.jpg

TheGeek 12-14-2012 04:44 AM

True Value I use to go to had a great assortment of bolts. Generally I purchased polished stainless and you couldn't tell the difference.

jory434 12-14-2012 08:10 AM

Any ACE hardware has a ton of chrome fasteners. Ive always found what Ive been looking for when i walk in there..

scumBAGGER 12-14-2012 08:11 AM

32$ tees and 90$ nuts and bolts.....it cant last forever like this.......

Leftcoaster 12-14-2012 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by gnewman (Post 10659031)
Im working on mounting an old school luggage rack and called HD parts this morning to get the specs on the well nuts they sell (part 8099). HD wanted about $2.50 a well nut and for the 1/4 20 chrome bolts they want $20 bucks each. So that would put me back $90ish for the four mounts I'm making. Yeah right HD!! Lol

Long story Short, I got the well nuts at lowes for a buck each and found boltdepot.com which had the bolts and washers chromed for 13 bucks. They do get you on shipping but oh well. Should have them in a few days and will post back on the quality of the chrome.

Just asking here: Is Charlotte so small that it doesn't have even one local nut/bolt supply house, yet there's a super speedway in the neighborhood?

A quick search would also turn up Gardner-Wescott, one of the largest chrome fastener suppliers in the US.