General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running a 1 1/8" rear pulley with a 1" belt

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running a 1 1/8" rear pulley with a 1" belt

I posted this question in the TOURING MODELS section of the forum, but got no replies, but the question is: Will I have any issues associated with using a wider 1 1/8" rear pulley on my back wheel with my stock 1" wide belt? I have a 2008 E-Glide Classic 96" 6-Speed, and these 07 and 08 bikes are geared very tall and at times it makes it feel like you're lugging it, so I decided to install a larger 68 tooth Sportster rear pulley in place of the stock 66 tooth pulley, and I was able to keep my stock belt, just had to move the wheel forward on the swing-arm with the belt adjusters, but the 98 tooth Sportster pulley is made for a 1 1/8" wide belt and my stock belt is 1" wide, so I would like to know will there be any issues associated with using this 1 1/8" width pulley with my 1" wide belt? Later when the time comes for me to get into my primary I will change the trans. pulley to a 31 tooth 1 1/8" pulley and get a new 1 1/8" belt, but not now.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM
HDwildcat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take a black marker and fill in that 1/8" of space on your pulley and you won't have any issues. Who's gonna know....

Seriously, if you have the wheel/ pulley aligned properly and the belt tension adjusted to spec. , and your not drag racing or pullin' wheelies to dump the naggin' wife with it , then you should be fine.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I think it will be a problem. Most any but the most precise belt and pulley systems rely upon the sides of the pulley participating in keeping the belt in place.

The precise systems are normally a constant speed, single torgue, with very precise belts and tensioning.

We don't have those conditions on a bike, and I'd predict premature belt failure with what you suggest.

Best answer: if the tensioning was enough, there wouldn't be a side covering the ends of the teeth, would there? They'd look more like a wide chain sprocket.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed to the same pulley about 8000 miles ago. No problems to date. I'll be taking the rear wheel off in the next week to put chrome wheel and new tire on. I'll check it over good then, but last time I looked at it breifly while cleaning the bike I couldn't see anything abnormal.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:26 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The pulley under the primary cover will fit any size belt. This pulley has been used for ever. The pulley on the wheel keeps the belt centered on the front pulley.

When we have to change a belt we are told to replace the belt that fits the wheel pulley. We are not allowed to put a smaller one on. Harley rules. Now, that doesn't mean a smaller belt won't work. I think the belt would slide back and fort in the pulley when you get some wear on the belt.

You wont know this untill the belt snaps. I can't tell you what to do. Just a little info for you to think about.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tomt
The pulley under the primary cover will fit any size belt. This pulley has been used for ever. The pulley on the wheel keeps the belt centered on the front pulley.

When we have to change a belt we are told to replace the belt that fits the wheel pulley. We are not allowed to put a smaller one on. Harley rules. Now, that doesn't mean a smaller belt won't work. I think the belt would slide back and fort in the pulley when you get some wear on the belt.

You wont know this untill the belt snaps. I can't tell you what to do. Just a little info for you to think about.
I agree, but will add that unless the tension is identical across the whole belt, which is the precision I mentioned in my first post, then that belt is going to start to drift. The drift will cause wear, which will cause more drift, etc. The pulley and belt size are matched for a reason.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

All rear belts wear over time, and become narrower than the width of the wheel pulley. It's one way we visually gauge whether or not the belt needs replacing. So, it stands to reason the 1" belt will not be touching both sides of a 1" wheel pulley. However, a 1-1/8" wheel pulley will allow the belt to move around more. It stands to reason the belt will have a shorter life span if used in a pulley that's too wide.

I can't say for sure because I've never tried it, but I also don't think I'm going to, either.

There is a 68t sportster pulley designed for a 1" belt. For the 07 and newer sportsters, if I recall correctly. You probably have a pulley from an older bike.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
I agree, but will add that unless the tension is identical across the whole belt, which is the precision I mentioned in my first post, then that belt is going to start to drift. The drift will cause wear, which will cause more drift, etc. The pulley and belt size are matched for a reason.
I did not mention the exact belt tension procedure because you mentioned it a little in one of your posts.

We have a belt tension procedure we use and a gauge to measure the tension. This tension does not last for ever. This is why we can't put a smaller belt on a wider pulley. If the belt tension is not correct the mainshaft seal will start leaking.

I think if you read my post again you will read, I did mention the sliding back and fort wear factor. Different words same point.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
mmancuso
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tomt
I did not mention the exact belt tension procedure because you mentioned it a little in one of your posts.

We have a belt tension procedure we use and a gauge to measure the tension. This tension does not last for ever. This is why we can't put a smaller belt on a wider pulley. If the belt tension is not correct the mainshaft seal will start leaking.

I think if you read my post again you will read, I did mention the sliding back and fort wear factor. Different words same point.
You did mention that it will slide back and forth with wear. I was just adding that if the pulley is too wide, it will slide back and forth because of that too, which leads to premature wearing.

Whatever....LOL.....we both agree that it's a bad idea!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Sitting here scratching my head thinking what difference will it make. The front drive pulley is twice as wide as the belt and there is no problem. Then I start to think just like a sanding belt it does not take much to tighten or loosen on the adjuster to move it side to side. I know on my Softail there is 1/32 (.032) tolerance on alignment of wheel and since my engine is fixed I always have one side off by about .008 or so measured with a caliper to the milled flats on the swing arm which are equal distance to the swing arm bushing. This floats my belt centered pretty good. It does drag one side slightly and is the one (forget which right now) that Harley prefers it to. With your wide rear drive pulley, what will happen if it were to ride inward? Could it drive across the front pulley and rub the transmission or is that all clear up under there? Money said it was OK but if it me I sure would put it all together and snug it and slid the belt one way and then other and eyeball it for interference. I would think once tightened and spun were it ends up it will stay there and that will be on one side or the other on the rear.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-01-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running a 1 1/8" rear pulley with a 1" belt