General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on Leather Jacket Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Chas63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice on Leather Jacket Sizing

Hey guys. I need your help in finding the correct size leather motorcycle jacket. I'm 5' 11" tall, weigh 168 lbs, size 42 chest, size 35 waist. I've owned several leather motorcycle jackets over the years and currently have a size 42 Regular that fits great, but it's brown in color and I want a black leather jacket.

Recently I ordered a new jacket from Xelement. Their sizing chart appeared to be all screwed up because it listed a Small as Size 46 chest and a Large as Size 50 chest. It didn't even show Size 42 chest on the chart, so I just read the review comments and decided to order the size Large.

The jacket arrived yesterday and it's WAY too big. I tried it on wearing a long sleeve shirt and undershirt. The sleeves were so long that only my finger tips protruded from the end of the sleeve when standing erect. I realize the sleeves will come up a little when I bend my arms, but not THAT much. Also, the sleeves (cuffs) were way too loose even though I had them zipped up as tight as they would go. Air could easily go up the sleeves while riding. The collar was also way too loose even with the jacket fully zipped up and the collar snapped.

I want a jacket that fits snugly over a lightweight shirt. I don't intend to ride with a heavy sweatshirt or hoodie on under the jacket. I like a jacket that's fairly plain without all the bells and whistles and do-dads on it.

So, what do you suggest? I'd rather not pay $400 for one at the Harley shop if I can get something similar for much less somewhere else, but I don't want to keep ordering jackets and having to return them because of a poor fit. I would consider any reputable brand of jacket of decent quality.

Any suggestions (other than for me to gain 50 pounds)?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Odhar
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with Jackets like Clothing is they are all made by diff manufacturers and the fit is different. I would go find the jacket you want, locally, and then look up the same brand online. After having tired it on you should just be able to order it.

I tried on helmets yesterday at the HD dealership. None fit just right, and each is made by a diff manufacturer so they all fit diff. I wore a L, XL, and XXL in three different helmets. Go figure. Finally ended up getting one off their Closeout table at 60% off.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you wannna just wash your hands of the whole order thing. If that's the case, send it back for a refund and get one from a local leather shop. Shouldn't run you more than a couple hundred bucks and you know the fit is right.

I'm in the same situation with the sleeves of my Xelement jacket, although not quite as long as yours. I'm going to check a Tack store nearby that does leather work and see how much to get them the right length.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Fatness
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Return it, get a Vanson, Schott, Johnson Leathers...buy American. I'm a 42 /M/L @ 5'10" 175, 32". I'm between a 42 for a nice tight fit and a 44 for non-padded that I'll wear a forcefield jersey under. ebay good.

i got some boots from Xelement and a jacket back a ways, looked nice in the pic but uggh on Chinese build and materials quality.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Daytona leathers in yup Daytona Florida has a great selection and the prices are low. I got my size through the mail and it fit perfect.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,402 Likes on 21,386 Posts

Just wait and go to a rally and then keep trying on the coats until you find one that fits.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are in east TN, you are not far from Fox Creek Leathers in VA. I hate ordering clothing that I have not previously had. I assume you are wanting a riding jacket, not a stand around the bar jacket. Riding jacket should be long in the back and sleeves. When you try on a motorcycle jacket, if your bike is nearby, sit on it in the riding position. That's the best way to determine if it fits for riding.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Chas63
Tourer

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Just wait and go to a rally and then keep trying on the coats until you find one that fits.
This sounds like the best idea so far. Other than the Harley shop, there's not really anything close by for me to try on jackets.

However, Leesburg, FL isn't too far away and they have BikeFest every year in April. There are lots of vendors there with all sorts of leather goods. I think I'll just return the Xelement jacket and wait a couple of months and go to the Leesburg BikeFest and find something I like that fits.

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain

+1 on Fox Creek Leather. Great customer service. If you get the wrong size they will send you a new one of a different size. Great products also.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a very good quality jacket thats made in the usa, call foxcreek leather. Have somebody with you to assist in taking measurements, foxcreek will ask you for.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Leather Jacket Sizing