General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Cams and ??

Yes...another Cam question.
But a search isn't coming up with much.

My ah...buddy.. the engine/bike builder has become unreliable so I'm on my own now.

I have a 2012 WG 103 motor.
So far I have picked up a set of Rhinehart 2 into 1 pipes and a DK air cleaner.
A Power Commander module is also in the works.

I am planning on sending the heads to Revolution Performance to have a stage 2, 1.9 rework on them.
http://www.revperf.com/TwinCam/twinC...nderHeads.html

I am looking at three camshafts now the Woods 777, the S&S 585 and I see Revolution has a TR 590G cam that looks pretty good.

Which cam for basic street riding with the occasional blast do you think would work the best?

And has anybody used the Revolution cams and how did they fair?

And are Revolution heads CNC ported??

TIA
I figure some phone time is in order, but thought I'd check here first.

Al

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, nothing matches the bolt in street performance of Wood cams.

That being said, the 555 or 777 would be a good cam choice since you are doing your heads. The 777 has more lift, but will come on a few hundred rpms higher in the curve than the 555.

I chose the 222 since I wanted my power at lower rpms & have no intentions of increasing compression in the future.

Either way, Wood cams kick ***!

Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Alright Harleys are not hi performance machines for hi RPMs. they are bottom end machines and very good ones at that. you are wasting time and money trying to make a hog into a cheetah. The best thing is to leave it alone unless you're wanting to add bottom end where Harleys excel. Stock is your best bet. Once you start working on a motor that's all you'll do and you lose reliability. It'll be one thing after another

Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by aquadave
Alright Harleys are not hi performance machines for hi RPMs. they are bottom end machines and very good ones at that. you are wasting time and money trying to make a hog into a cheetah. The best thing is to leave it alone unless you're wanting to add bottom end where Harleys excel. Stock is your best bet. Once you start working on a motor that's all you'll do and you lose reliability. It'll be one thing after another

They are also boring as crap stock.

I figure I can run close to a 100 hp and Tq of this motor and it will last as long as I do, I'm 65 btw so it probabaly won't be that long.

Drag racing most my life probably doesn't help, but this bike is just to slow for me, I'll take a bit of reliability loss for the performance gains.

Not looking for a 9 second bike, had a few of them already, but I would like one that atleast has a little get up and go.

I knew when I bought it, I'd modify it, just like every other bike/car/boat I've had.
Thanks for the post though.

Al

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
CB024
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know which way you end up going Allen. I have the same bike as you and know exactly what you mean by the stock power being boring. I personally just want over 100tq to the wheels. I'm interested to see what you end up with.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
m1marty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tman 590 is what I picked for my 103. With a good set of worked heads(in the works), A/C, 2-1 (S/S stealth andDragos Dragula) and spot on tune (via TTS) *should* net me over 110/110. Proven combo that gets the job done. 100hp out of a 103 is easy.....

Old 03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
AllenW
Elite HDF Member

Will do CB024, hopefully a dyno sheet also.

I'll be the first to say cam design is not my strong point, all three look pretty close but like said, I don't know.

Kinda of leaning towards a Woods or Tman so far, be nice to find a reliable engine builder to talk to right now.

Thanks all

al

Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Srrmc
Tourer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sir
If I were you I would look at fuel moto. Do something like this;
Level b heads
FM 107 kit with your choice of can
And a power vision.

No better set up IMO.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the woods 222 is great cam

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

AllenW, don't know why you and others post technical questions in the general chat section. Especially when there are 3 independent shop owner/operators that hang out there and can answer most questions you might have concerning cams, compression ratio's, and mild to wild head work. Ask your questions here~~> https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ke-exhaust-57/

Quick Reply: Cams and ??