General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used bike with no title

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Blackest
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used bike with no title

I was looking at a used dyna, but the guy doesn't have the title in hand. He said all he had to do was call harley once he sells it and they would mail the title to me. Sounds extremely fishy to me. Is this even true? What do you guys think?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default No way

No title in hand, no sale. It is too easy to get burnt.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM
hincheec
Cruiser

Is he saying that he owes Harley Credit? and once you pay him then he pays Harley credit and they clear the lein then he will assign the title to you?
If so, and you are not comfortable with that, many Harley Dealerships and banks will act as a "middleman" in your transaction for a fee.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Blackest
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hincheec
Is he saying that he owes Harley Credit? and once you pay him then he pays Harley credit and they clear the lein then he will assign the title to you?
If so, and you are not comfortable with that, many Harley Dealerships and banks will act as a "middleman" in your transaction for a fee.
Thats what I'm worried about. I dont want to somehow end up owing HD or a bank money.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
hincheec
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blackest
Thats what I'm worried about. I dont want to somehow end up owing HD or a bank money.
I have heard of Harley Dealers acting as a middleman in your transaction, with the dealer dealing with Harley Credit instead of the seller telling you that he has satisfied the loan while you wait and wait on the title. At least if you go through the dealer, you will know that the deal is on the up and up.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackest
I was looking at a used dyna, but the guy doesn't have the title in hand. He said all he had to do was call harley once he sells it and they would mail the title to me. Sounds extremely fishy to me. Is this even true? What do you guys think?
Have him show you his payment book or a statement to ensure he actually has the loan through HD credit & the bike belongs to him.

I've done this buying and selling several vehicles over the years & never had an issue. If the credit agency has the title, he can't get it until he has the money from you to pay it off, then they will mail the title once they recieve payment and process it. They will probably mail the title to him, then you will have to make arrangements to get it from him. This process can take a couple weeks.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it twice, both times I left with the bike in my possesion. First time I had to wait 2 days and then I met the guy at the bank to get the title. Second time I applied for lost title. No issues either time but I felt comfortable doing so. Let your gut feeling be your guide.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Poser since73
Advanced

The dealers up here in NW will impound the money and the bike, Get the title and THEN you get the bike.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Do the paper work carefully if Harley has the lien on the title and is holding the title. I purchased a car with a lease from the owner. I was very careful to draw up a bill of sale and have a three way conversation with the loan people. The seller was broke and just wanted to get out from under the lease and had sold the car to me at the quoted payoff. However as it turned out there was an early 1.5% early termination and some other fees the seller did not have. If I had purchased it and had let him have the money not sure what would have happened. He ended up working out difference and in a few weeks I got the car. Bought a Softail on Ebay that owner said needed to pay it off to get title. Took VIN number to my VA DMV and they said the bike was reported stolen in GA (Bike was in MI) I called bank and ask if he had title. Banker told me they had been waiting on it for two months. Surprised they would load on it like that but they did. He then shut up since he realized I was dealing with father of son and maybe he need to get permission to give me info. I said OK but thought I should mention what my DMV had said. His last few words were Oh shi.. By. Seller and I canceled Ebay sale. Sure wish it had been a good sale. It was a Softail Deuce SE with duel rotors with a number 1 of 200 paint job with white paint with Lucky Deuces dice on the tank . Do your home work and move slow. Take the VIN to your local DMV at least in my state will show who has title. Third party check help to insure seller is on up and up. He may be but simple does not know what it takes to sale.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Its as simple as this.

That guy is trying to sell you a motorcycle that he doesn't own.

Pay your money and take your chances if you feel lucky. But look at it this way. The deal had an odor to it that caused you post here. Trust your instincts.

Quick Reply: used bike with no title