General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The more I learn the more I need to know (oil Filter question)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM
flpete
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The more I learn the more I need to know (oil Filter question)

Hello all. I have been reading this forum and so far have learned so very much, but it seems the more that I learn the dumber I get !! LOL. I went to my local motorcycle shop to obtain a Harley Brand oil filter. BUTTTT
All they had was a fram oil filter or a Wix oil filter. I bought the Wix filter.
This shop specializes in Harleys

Now here is my question. I have read that one wants an Harley oil Filter because of a special valve on the inside of the filter which somehow is good for the motor, something about oil flow and presure.

Does my Wix filter have this same valve and is it safe to install on my 2006 softtail Deluxe ?? I don't want to harm my bike in anyway by using inferior parts so I came here to ask the experts. Thanks in advance for any help.
kindly
flpete

Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
08rking
Cruiser

Put on the Wix and ride. Since the closest Harley dealer for me is 30 miles away, I've used Fram, and Mobil 1 filters with no problem. I grab a Harley filter if I think of it while visiting a dealer, but if not I'll use whatever I can buy at my local auto parts store. Lots of guys on this forum use Wal Mart filters with no complaints. Sure, some filters may catch more microns (I'm not sure what a micron is), but you can make yourself crazy worrying about all the scientific aspects of an oil change. Clean oil, new filter, and ride. Just my .02 cents

Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM
flpete
Intermediate
Default I'm sorry Its not a wix I bought, It is an S&S oil filter

which the dealer said was a better filter overall, even better than the Harley filter. Is this just hype or is the S&S a quality filter? I do know S&S parts do come pretty well recomended.
Thanks in advance
kindly
flpete

Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Radimus
Tourer

Microns are measurements in TINY scale... molecules in size. The tinier the screen, the smaller bits of junk they can filter.

mail order some K&N filters (black or chrome w/ nut on the end to make it easy to replace) and store them. Things are only going to get more expensive due to economy and you will eventually use them. If you have it on hand, then you will be more likely to do it than to get around to do it.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

^^^ Yep I agree with Radimus. I always have a few filters and plenty of oil in the shop. Watch for sales and stock up. Last month I was able to get 24 QT's of Mobil 1 Vtwin for $6.35 a Qt and K&N filters for about the same. Since I service 3 bikes I don't have to worry about any of it sitting to long.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
flpete
Intermediate
Default Thank you for your service Sir !!!

Guys like you made this country Great. Thanks again for my freedom !!

Originally Posted by Radimus
Microns are measurements in TINY scale... molecules in size. The tinier the screen, the smaller bits of junk they can filter.

mail order some K&N filters (black or chrome w/ nut on the end to make it easy to replace) and store them. Things are only going to get more expensive due to economy and you will eventually use them. If you have it on hand, then you will be more likely to do it than to get around to do it.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM
flpete
Intermediate
Default Thank you for sharing that youtube clip Loc Tite !!

That was very informative.....great info. after seeing that I will never ever buy a fram filter. amazing differance in filter design. Just goes to show one gets what they pay for.
Thanks again
kindly
flpete

Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Radimus

+1. I have a stack of six H-D oil filters in the garage along with a half case of spark plugs, seals, o rings, misc gaskets and other assorted ****. Price ain't goin down in the future and I'm gonna need it all sooner or later.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Christ on a pogo stick I wish pleb's would worry half as much about your almost non existent riding skills as you do about fugging oil & related products ........

Quick Reply: The more I learn the more I need to know (oil Filter question)