General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

akoury ak88 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Mr.831
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
I could not find a listing for the AK-88 on this site?
My bad!! This site has the same helmet like the ak-88... And according to them it's made in the same shop in china just branded by these two different companies.. This one just happens to be offering the 25% discount. I know it's hard to trust some one over the phone from Canada but a fellow member earlier stated he too had called them and got the same response as I did.... If it doesn't sit right I'll only be out $25 to send it back instead of the $50( $25 to ship it to me and $25 to send it back if I don't like.)

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

Got mine yesterday.

FWIW I take a medium in most helmets and ordered a medium with the AK88. It fits just fine actually slightly snug at the temples. I ordered the matte black and it came with the ratchet strap. I find the chin strap to be slightly uncomfortable. (compared to my HD 1/2 helmet) I'm sure it will just take some getting used to.

I'm not so sure it is a "legal" DOT. When you press up against the roof of the helmet from the inside, there is no foam. You hit shell only. I'm guessing anyone shopping for this helmet isn't too concerned about safety anyway.

It does look good though and my wife is happy that I decided to wear it, rather than go without a helmet. Hey its gotta offer a little more protection than nothing.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:28 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DeluxeHog05
I'm not so sure it is a "legal" DOT. When you press up against the roof of the helmet from the inside, there is no foam. You hit shell only. I'm guessing anyone shopping for this helmet isn't too concerned about safety anyway.
I'm pretty sure that they couldn't advertise & sell it as being DOT approved, unless it is. I'm not sure what you mean about no foam - mine seems pretty well padded and yes, safety matters to me.

I finally rode about 150 miles today with my new AK88 and I love it. It looks good, fits good, and it's very comfortable. A couple of buddies want them too now.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The DOT approval is basically the honor system. The DOT does not take production helmets off the line and test them on the manufacturer, and give them a seal of approval. The manufacturer is supposed to self test the helmet and verify it conforms to the DOT spec. Whose to say Akoury did or didn't? Just like most governmental regulations, it's not well thought out and nearly impossible to enforce.

From what I have read, the DOT approval tests are far harsher than what can be expected in a real accident kind of how building codes use a 2-3X safety factor so that even if you do a half-*** job, you still have a safe building.

I rode some highway today with it and couldn't believe the lack of lift as in none--even with no windshield. I threw in earplugs because of wind noise, but I played around with the Y straps around me ears to see if they were causing extra wind noise and they didn't seem to be.

I have a peanut head and this helmet does not look half dopey other than the fact that it's on me. Don't mind my "old lady", I took her around the block today when a neighbor took this shot. Normally she wears proper clothing but for a 1000 foot circle around the block, I let her be.

Attached Thumbnails akoury ak88 helmet-img950016.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

The AK88 is officially DOT approved.

Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
§571.218 Standard No. 218; Motorcycle helmets.
S5.6 Labeling.
S5.6.1 Each helmet shall be labeled permanently and legibly, in a manner such that the label(s) can be read easily without removing padding or any other permanent part, with the following:
(a) Manufacturer's name or identification.
(b) Precise model designation.
(c) Size.
(d) Month and year of manufacture. This may be spelled out (for example, June 1988), or expressed in numerals (for example, 6/88).
(e) The symbol DOT, constituting the manufacturer's certification that the helmet conforms to the applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards. This symbol shall appear on the outer surface, in a color that contrasts with the background, in letters at least3/8inch (1 cm) high, centered laterally with the horizontal centerline of the symbol located a minimum of 11/8inches (2.9 cm) and a maximum of 13/8inches (3.5 cm) from the bottom edge of the posterior portion of the helmet.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:22 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

Black SG,
I get what your saying with the last post,but like Greg said it's up to the manufacturer to say it passes or not.It's an honor systemany one can stamp them "DOT", they just better not get caught pulling a fast one. I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here. We both like the helmets and that's what is important.

I was just trying to add info to this thread, for other folks who may be looking at buying this helmet. I was just saying it doesn't appear to offer much protection. But I guess no 1/2 helmet really does. I was saying if people were concerned about safety, then they would be looking a FF helmets. Regarding the foam ... usually there is a layer of "impact" foam directly under the shell. I'm not talking about the padding that makes it comfortable on your head. I can't feel any "impact" foam, just the shell. maybe I'm crazy

Bottom line is I love the look of the helmet and I will be keeping it.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

Post removed ....double post

Last edited by DeluxeHog05; 05-13-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Post removed due to double post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM
sundevil1982
6th Gear

I just ordered an ak88. Why don't these guys have DK or JP carry their product? Seems they could make a killing. I'm not too worried about the DOT rating since there's no helmet laws in Az, but do you think Canadian DOT ratings and USA DOT ratings are different?

Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

AK88 showed up yesterday. I am really happy with it as far as a DOT helmet goes. It is fairly low profile and not much bigger than my novelty helmet. It's a keeper, no more helmet tickets for me.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM
CB024
Road Master

Well I don't know what the outlaw helmet is like because it appears to have vanished into thin air. I got a confirmation that the order shipped with a tracking number. The tracking number was bogus as Fedex has no record of it. The order says it was shipping from the LA warehouse on Thursday. Should have been here Friday (I live in Arizona) but at the very least yesterday. Nothing.

Not a big deal I guess considering another poster already said its bigger than the ak88 and mushroom like. Sorry I couldn't review it for you guys. Chalk this up to more money thrown away. At least it wasn't $100+ I lost.

Quick Reply: akoury ak88 helmet