General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

akoury ak88 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Went to Daytona's website. They still say they make the "World's Smallest & Lightest D.O.T. Approved 1/2 Shell Helmet Ever Made!!"

Converted helmet weights from Daytona's site. This Akoury claims to be less than 640, while the Daytona claims about 690 regular and 660 for Carbon Fiber. 'Course Daytona listed weight for each size so a Carbon Fiber small was 635 and thus under the 640 Akoury is saying. Akoury is saying less than though, so what size did Akoury measure to get the sub 640 number?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:01 AM
103RATRIDE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anybody own a daytona that can chime in and let us know how small it really is?
im debating which to get now daytona or ak88

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Anpumes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newrider66
I called the company today. Used the number on the allforbikes site. They said they would exchange sizes and even refund, but have to pay for shipping in each case, which seems fair. Unfortunately they don't have any US retailers.
That's great that they'll do that but at $25 per shipment - quoted shipping price from their website - that would add up to be one very expensive helmet fast...

Originally Posted by newrider66
The helmet looks very nice... But I have a concern that it is really legal in the states requiring a dot helmet. Looks like it has a dot sticker but that might not mean anything. Being paranoid I did ask the company how I can be sure it is in fact dot approved. The response was to send my question to them in an email.
I contacted them via email and was informed that the DOT requirements were the same for the states and Canada. Take that for what it's worth. They did not specify what requirements it meet specifically (FMVSS 218 or something else).

Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 PM
SteveFLSTF
Intermediate

I have both an Akoury AK-88 and also an Akoury Terminator helmet which I ordered from allforbikers.com and I am really happy with both. These are without a doubt the lowest profile DOT helmets I have used. I also have an Outlaw Polo, Lick's NovDot and a Bell Drifter as well as a couple of full-faced helmets.

Your head fits inside these helmets as opposed to being perched on top, they are extremely light and they stay put; no lifting, choking etc. Both are extremely comfortable. The youtube videos on the the allforbikers site are made by Bernbo who lives in British Columbia, and he is not affiliated with allforbikers.com but is just a guy who rides who gives an honest opinion. His review is spot-on.

My Ak-88 came with a different quick release than on Bernbo's video and my Terminator came with standard D-Rings. I live in Ottawa Ontario and you can buy these Akoury helmets in a few local motorcycle dealers, so they are definitely legit. The DOT cert is painted on , not just a sticker. I ordered mine from the allforbikers site and they are located in Montreal.

The sizing chart on the allforbikers site is accurate. My quest for a low-profile DOT ended with these helmets. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit -- the interior is definitely better made than my Outlaw Polo. The Outlaw on the inner top of the helmet is just the hard foam liner with a small piece of soft foam where the shell contacts that top of your head. Not very comfortable. If anyone wants I can post some pics.

Last edited by SteveFLSTF; 04-27-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:38 PM
06Cummins
Road Captain

I will be ordering one before I leave Africa. Hopefully it will be there before I get home. I was just about to post a question about these helmets and y'all have answered them and help me spend more of my money AGAIN!!!!!! Lol thanks guys

Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 103RATRIDE
does anybody own a daytona that can chime in and let us know how small it really is?
My wife has been using a NexL (no longer in business) DOT helmet for several years and bought a Daytona Cabon fiber and while the same size as the NexL it sits more like a mushroom top on her head compared to the NexL. Bot the NexL and Daytona at least when compared to the picture of the AK88 are larger than the AK

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dgretz
Bot the NexL and Daytona at least when compared to the picture of the AK88 are larger than the AK
Have you seen a pic that shows them in the same pic? Or comparing an AK pic to what you know the size of the NexL and Daytona to be?

Old 05-04-2013, 06:02 AM
SFD998
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Looks like the site allforbikes owns Akoury.
When I called two days ago the guy that answered the phone said he is the one who designed the helmet. So I would say you are right that all for bikers owns Akoury.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 AM
lowebudget
Advanced

Originally Posted by 103RATRIDE
I do and it's horrible. The Daytona is nicely made but serious mushroom head

Old 05-04-2013, 09:10 AM
DaSham58
Tourer

I am thinking about ordering the Terminator and would love to see some pictures of it!

Quick Reply: akoury ak88 helmet