General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J & S Jack Review (you gotta get 1 of these)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:23 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J & S Jack Review (you gotta get 1 of these)

Soon after buying my first Harley, I realized as a do-it-yerselfer, I ain't gonna get anything done till I get er in the air. I searched the Web for hours, (thats when I discovered this Forum) and decided on a jack from http://www.jsjacks.com. While on their site, they show a video of the guy tossing around an 800 pound Harley like its a minibike. I thought that's for me. Purchase on the internet was smooth, so was the UPS delivery. I opted for the additional oil drain pan, seen in the picture. Assembly was nothing except the two bolts that secure the 6 ton jack to the frame work. Just like in the video, I slipped this thing under the bike and jacked it 18" before the UPS guy had turned the corner. I had no surprises. Everything worked as promissed, smooth up, no clamping or strapping, pushes around very easily. Once positioned, I screwed down a couple of stabilizer bolts withmy fingers. While going down, I popped a beer and watched my new RG sit over gently on the jiffy stand just as promissed. The oil drain pan catches all three fluid drains too... When I finished the garage service, I rolled the bike on the jack out into the driveway for a scrub down.

It is such a luxury to wash this bike and literally sit on a stool, spinning the wheels and washing the underside with no effort at all. When all the suds are rinsed away, I get out my trusty leaf blower and thoroughly blow dry the bike and the jack. Stability, quality and lifetime warranty, I believe J & S is the way to go.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Default RE: J & S Jack Review (you gotta get 1 of these)

Uncle, you are going to get a lot of '$100 Sears jack guys' saying theirs is just as good and a lot less money but I am with you on the J & S.

I have had mine for almost a year and use it often. Right now the King has been up on the J & S for a couple of monthsand rolled into the corner of the garage waiting for the spring thaw.

Like you said, it is well build and very stable. The runner fits right in to the channel on the bottom of the frame, something I could not get my yellow Sears to do. The large steel wheels make it easy to roll around.

For me it is well worth the extra money.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM
tread
Outstanding HDF Member

After visiting there web page I have decided to get one.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:57 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRider

Uncle, you are going to get a lot of '$100 Sears jack guys' saying theirs is just as good and a lot less money but I am with you on the J & S.

I have had mine for almost a year and use it often. Right now the King has been up on the J & S for a couple of monthsand rolled into the corner of the garage waiting for the spring thaw.

Like you said, it is well build and very stable. The runner fits right in to the channel on the bottom of the frame, something I could not get my yellow Sears to do. The large steel wheels make it easy to roll around.

For me it is well worth the extra money.
I have the Sears yellow jack for my Heritage Classic. The Softails have the shocks that stick down below the bottom of the frame. I can position the jack forward of these shocks, but that leaves the bike a bit tail heavy, putting a 'twist' in the jack that is not very comforting. Because these shocks stick down below the frame, I can't postion the jack near the bikescenter of gravity.Would you tell me what the center measurement is between the two jack platform rails on the J&S jack. Thanks.

DJK

Old 02-20-2007, 09:05 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got my J & S about 3 days ago. That thing is as solidly built as a rock.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

I can almost do all that stuff my sears jack. But ya know... it is junk. It bleeds down a lot.

Maybe I'll pick one of these up. Pretty cool. Thanks for the info.

lp

Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 AM
dietdewboy
Tourer

how high does it lift your bike?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:54 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks great but if I'm going to spend $300 plus I'm going for one of these..http://www.discountramp.com/motorcycle-table-lift.htm

Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

ORIGINAL: djkolp

Would you tell me what the center measurement is between the two jack platform rails on the J&S jack. Thanks.

DJK
I have told it is 15" on center:
https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=949290

Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glideridemike
Looks great but if I'm going to spend $300 plus I'm going for one of these..http://www.discountramp.com/motorcycle-table-lift.htm
The link didn't work for me, but according to the URL, you are referring to a table lift. I would love to have one of those as well, but there are some things a jack does that a table lift doesn't. All a lift does is get the bike off the ground. With the lift, you can only do things you could do with the bike on the ground, just more comfortably. But it won't allow you to remove a front end, change rear shocks, and in my case, I've lowered my bike to the point where draining the oil would be messy on a table lift. It's just hard to find a large volume, super low drain pan. Some people, as mentioned in this thread, also use the jack to allow them to spin the wheels when cleaning the bike and others use them to store the bike in a tight spot in the garage in winter time.

I've got the Craftsman "Pro" version. I love it but it does flex a lot. It isn't going to break, but even the cheap red Craftsman jack was much more rigid than the Pro version. That's mostly due to the more compact designand probably partially due to itsaluminum construction. I think if I had a heavier bike, I would consider spending the extra money on the J&S just for peace of mind. But my jack is perfect for my needs. Besides going very LOW and generally doing its job well, the other compliments I would have to give it is that itcomes fully assembled and it isLIGHT. I'm sure the J&S is a well constructed, but heavy beast. So just like almost everything else in life, what's best for one person isn't always best for another. If I needed to store my bike on the jack, I'd rather have the J&S for sure.

Thanks unclekunkle for the comments and the review on a good product. I'm sure it will be helpful to many.

Kevin

Quick Reply: J & S Jack Review (you gotta get 1 of these)