General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:18 PM
shepo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC

Hi,

I have a 07 FXSTC and have recently fitted a HD quick detachable screen for highway use. I am 6'3" tall and the bike is otherwisestandard. Since I have fitted the screen above 50-55mph I am experiencing severe helmet buffeting - blurred vision, etc. I tried going above 75mph to see if it decreased, however, only got worse - so bad I was starting to loose colour in my vision! Turbulence appears to be coming from over the top of the screen. Does cutting down the screen help? Any suggestions?

shep.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Gigamark
Advanced
Default RE: Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC

Not sure if that detachable is adjustable? You might be able to reposition it to eliminate the buffeting. I know I can make adjustments with my Windvest.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
shepo
Advanced

No, unfortunately the quick detachable Harley shields are not adjustable. Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

shep.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

remove about 10 inches between your *** and shoulders and then, like me, you will feel no wind at all.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,751 Likes on 766 Posts

I had the same windshield on my Night Train. Same problem, so I had it cut down 2 inches. Still had the problem, sold the windshield. I am 5'9.

Good luck!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Think everyone's pretty much come to the conclusion that the wind buffeting you're feeling is coming from under the screen and not from over it. Heard of others solving the problem with fork mounted wind deflectors.

Out riding, cross your arm over your chest and see if the wind is coming from below...you should be able to block the wind with your arm if this is the case.

A lot of threads on this issue.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
shepo
Advanced

Yes, I had a good look through the threads on this issue prior to posting. I have tried getting down behind the screen - obviously, no wind buffeting if my nose is touching it - just looks stupid and pretty hard to ride!

The 10 inch removal of my body - now that is a radical solution. Trouble is, if I do it, people will have to pick me up just to say hello! (to quote Randy Newman's lyrics).

Before I give up on the screen 'and just grin and bear it' I was going to try a set of standard Night Train Bars and risers to see how they go with the screen with me now leaning forward.

shep.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Pilzner
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the detachable, compact, standard-heightwindshield (part # 58627-99) on my 2007 custom. I am short (5'7") and the shield is about nose height. I do not experience severe buffeting at all. I can feel a bit of wind flow across the top of the helmet (a 3/4 type) at high speeds. I can ride at up to highway speeds with the face shield up (and no glasses) with no eye/face irritation.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
madmech
Cruiser

Here's help.http://www.jacksflaps.com/info.html
I use this when I have my quick detach w/s on.When I have the Windvest on,I don't need the flap vest. http://www.coolwindshields.com/

Old 02-23-2007, 03:56 AM
shepo
Advanced

Thanks all for the responses. I should blame Pilzner for my troubles! I saw pictures of his bike and it motivated me to go and purchase the screen.

Hey, Pilzner, how does the 2 into 1 sound and go? Did you have to change anything else on the bike to suit? Does it sound o.k.? By the way, the Picture of 'Andy Cap' you use in your postings, are you aware Andy Cap was (could still be) a famous cartoon character in Australia?

All the best,

shep.

Quick Reply: Windshield Buffeting - 07 FXSTC