General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic transmission for Harley Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:41 PM
blkdimon8
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Automatic transmission for Harley Davidson

This is a great idea have, afew buddies wholost some limbs in Iraq who ride. A couple havelimited use of their limbs hands, legs etc.. so this would be right up their alley. I know two who aretrying to get Trikes so that can feel the wind in their faces again. So sorry pal I have to disagree with you on this. Now if they can lower the price and put out the same amount of power a reg scoot can, would be even better. Just my .02.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the time you've added one of these to an otherwise stock Dyna, you'll have about $30,000.00 into a bike worth half that much. If I was in a position where I needed an automatic Harley, this might appeal to me. God bless any veteran who comes back w/o a leg or foot that still wants to ride, but this seems like a pricey way to go.

As far as the Ridley is concerned, that's not even a poor second choice. I've seen one in action and it accelerated like a bus up a hill, not very impressive, but maybe they've gotten better in the last 2 years. This really isn't anything new, Honda had their Hawk Hondamatic 20+ years ago, although I think that was a smaller 500cc bike.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

Heres a link for the automatic transmission if your
intrested in getting one.

http://www.automatic-bike.com/

To me it is a dumb idea, but someone might want one?

Likely some folks with a handicap that might appreciate having one.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:27 AM
fatboylust
Road Captain

Then there is the semi-automatic clutch:
http://www.db-enterprises.biz/prostart_street.html

FBL

Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely has its place in the MC community. Not sure I'd want one, but it could be entertaining. Like riding a scooter....only bigger and heavier.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:15 PM
waterman7474
Road Master

ORIGINAL: blkdimon8

This is a great idea have, afew buddies wholost some limbs in Iraq who ride. A couple havelimited use of their limbs hands, legs etc.. so this would be right up their alley. I know two who aretrying to get Trikes so that can feel the wind in their faces again. So sorry pal I have to disagree with you on this. Now if they can lower the price and put out the same amount of power a reg scoot can, would be even better. Just my .02.
ok, that's a good point

Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
bosnmate
Banned

My wife has a problem with the clutching/shifting coordination stuff. She would ride if it weren't for that. She would like an automatic so she could ride, funny though, she is extremely smart and a professional woman (CPA) but the controls the motorcycle kick her butt.

I remember as a kid, having a Honda CT90 I think it was, looked more like a scooter than a motorcycle and it had an automatic clutch, just let off the gas and shift. That was nice and I think that would help my wife a lot.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend who was way into bikes before he fell of a ladder and broke his back. After much physical therapy, he can hobble around without a cane or walker, but he can't flex his ankles to shift, or get his feet on the ground reliably at a stop. Something like this on a trike would be perfect for him.

As far as the expense goes, if you already had a bike when you got injured, the conversion is no more costly than buying a new bike (which pretty much everyone does eventually).

I've also heard there are lots of options for increasing HP and Tq on Harleys, should you want to go a little faster.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

You ever think of some of us ole farts with Aurther living in there hands. This would be great in Daytona during all the stop and go traffic. Or for trikes, don't have to put your foot down at the light or hold the clutch.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: jackj

NO THANKS, I guess if you need that because of a problem, OK, but I enjoy the shifting etc.
I'm with you.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission for Harley Davidson