General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary oil making it into my engine oil?? HELP Please.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Marc Gonzales
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary oil making it into my engine oil?? HELP Please.

hi there, i have a 83 FXR Shovel. Recently ive had an odd issue. i noticed the issue a few weeks back when i checked my engine oil and it was a 1/2 qt low, so i topped it off. no biggie right... So the bike became hard to shift so i checked the primary oil and it was low. topped it off, no biggie right... Went for a ride and the bike puked oil out of the breather all over the rear wheel (not fun) so i thought that was odd. i go home check my fluids and this is what they were: Engine oil way over full. Primary oil very low(kinda leaks through the derby cover). so drained all the fluids. ( it was due for oil change anyway) and started fresh. all fluids are that right levels. take it for a ride and come back to find out that oil puked out the breather again, engine is over full and primary is low.

Ive read other post about the opposite problem, where the engine leaks into the primary and its a seal issue. but this is different. im at a stand still scratching my head. Please and Thank you ahead of time

Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

On my '84 4 speed shovel the engine oil circulated through the primary. As I recall from way back when, if the primary wasn't sealed oil wouldn't circulate correctly. Not sure if this applies to your bike because I think it's a 5 speed. I segregated the primary from the engine and everything was a lot happier.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

on a shovel. the engine oil circulates through the primary.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Marc Gonzales
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
On my '84 4 speed shovel the engine oil circulated through the primary. As I recall from way back when, if the primary wasn't sealed oil wouldn't circulate correctly. Not sure if this applies to your bike because I think it's a 5 speed. I segregated the primary from the engine and everything was a lot happier.
Thank you! when you say "Segregated" what exactly did you do?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 AM
Marc Gonzales
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by j1mmy
on a shovel. the engine oil circulates through the primary.
So like he said above, iif it wasnt sealed properly it wont circulate properly? My derby cover is missing a screw due to the derby cover breaking at the screw hole (this recently happened) if so this would all make sense. Thanks