General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default Trailer laws

If I buy a trailer from Harbor Freight, do I have to get the trailer registered at the CA dmv?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:22 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume it has to have a plate on it and to get a plate you have to register it.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM
petemc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
If I buy a trailer from Harbor Freight, do I have to get the trailer registered at the CA dmv?
In CA those kind of trailers (utility) are registered for 5 years at a time, called PTO and it's not very expensive.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:33 PM
oldprowler
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You really do not need to register the trailer, just pull out your day planner and pencil in every other Wednesday (all day) for court appearances.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM
lortsie
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There's no minimum GVWR in Cali? In Oregon for light trailers I believe it's 1800lbs. Anything UNDER than you do NOT need to register.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

So, every trailer has to have a plate/registration? To be towed behind a vehicle in California?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

If it is used on a public street in Ca. you have to register it ,

Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
lortsie
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, looks like it;

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/commercial/cvra.htm

"Trailers that are subject to Permanent Trailer Identification (PTI)

All trailers except park trailers and trailer coaches are subject to PTI.

NOTE: A camp trailer or fifth-wheel trailer (depending upon maximum length, width, or size) can be registered as a trailer coach, or camp trailer. Camp trailers are subject to PTI, but trailer coaches and park trailers are subject to annual registration and excluded from PTI.

Fees charged for a trailer

A PTI fee is charged for the original registration. You will receive a permanent identification card at the time of initial registration/conversion.

A PTI service fee is due every five years.

About 60 days prior to the due date, you will receive a PTI service fee notice. Return the fee in the envelope provided. You will receive a notice of acknowledgment for the payment.

Upon conversion to PTI registration, you can:

Retain the existing trailer plate, or
Request a new permanent trailer identification plate.
Tow dollies or auxiliary dollies are not required to be registered in California (California Vehicle Code §5014.1), but you may opt to convert to PTI. If you convert to PTI, you need to display a PTI plate or a regular plate with a PTI sticker. If you do not convert to PTI, remove the existing plate.

While registration under the PTI program is optional for tow dollies, you may want to register your tow dolly under PTI if you will be towing it out of state because other states' registration requirements for trailers vary.

How to register your trailer in the PTI program

You must submit:

Titling document(s) (out of state title, new vehicle report of sale, Manufacturer's Statement of Origin, etc.) to establish your ownership of the vehicle.
An Application for Title or Registration /Verification of Vehicle (REG 343).
PTI filing fee.
The department will issue a PTI Card and maintain an electronic ownership record. If there is no legal owner, and you would like to receive a Certificate of Title, complete Sections 1 and 2 on Side A of the PTI Certification (REG 4017). An additional title only fee is charged for the paper title."

Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Generally in most states the kit trailers are purchased without title. When they are put together and ready to tow take the bill of sale and make application for title and license at a licences facility.

In Illinois I have bought and put together two of the HF trailers. It cost me in Illinois $125 for the license and title. They were completed about a year after purchase.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,199 Likes on 3,168 Posts

You'll probably have to take it to DMV to get the number checked for the registration, if'n I remember right

Quick Reply: Trailer laws