General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dyna switchback Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM
jspoon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dyna switchback Vibrations

I've got about 700 M on my ride, at 70mph it's not bad but at 75 it shudders and vibrates BAD! If I rap it up to about 4200 rpms it's smooth as silk, it's happy poking along at 2100-2400 rpm's ok but when shifting around 2800 it vibrates way bad. when I bring it in for it's 1000 m checkup I will tell them about this, but in the meantime I'm wondering if this is normal. I have been nice to the bike during the breakin period.
Thanks all

Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,426 Likes on 4,129 Posts

Not sure if that's normal or not. The newest bike I've ever owned is my current '83 Shovel. There's a reason they were called Milwaukee Vibrators.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley has a service bulletin out on dyna vibrations. Take it in and let them figure it out under warranty

Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

A friend of mine just traded his Sportster for a new ride. Had his heart set on a new black Switchback but got a Fatboy instead. Reason? He said it vibrated way too much. I laughed and thought he doesn't ever have to worry about that with a Softail . . .

Last edited by Sleeko; 08-30-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:51 PM
jspoon
Advanced

Originally Posted by rooti
Harley has a service bulletin out on dyna vibrations. Take it in and let them figure it out under warranty
Thanks I'll be sure and let them know!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM
jspoon
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sleeko
A friend of mine just traded his Sportster for a new ride. Had his heart set on a new black Switchback but got a Fatboy instead. Reason? He said it vibrated way too much. I laughed and thought he doesn't ever have to worry about that with a Softail . . .
Same engine as the fat boy, why the vibes?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jspoon
Same engine as the fat boy, why the vibes?
Softails use the rigid mounted balanced motor. All of the other families use rubber mounts and are unbalanced. Sort of like me . . .

Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
chris h.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FLD vibe problems stem from the exhaust mount. There are several threads on this forum about it and how to fix it. Try searching clevis pin fix

Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chris h.
The FLD vibe problems stem from the exhaust mount. There are several threads on this forum about it and how to fix it. Try searching clevis pin fix
This! My buddy has a 12 FLD and I told him about the vibration problem I read on this forum prior to him buying it. I told him if he replaced the stock exhaust with a different exhaust it should alleviate the problem. He got the D&D 2 into 1 exhaust installed and hasn't had any vibration problems.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Tinker55
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

I had an FLD for 18 months and recently traded it in for a RKC; the FLD never was without vibrations, whatever my dealer tried... The RKC obviously also has some vibrations (I suppose all V twins do) but noting as bad as the FLD. I get the feeling that there are a lot of differences from bike to bike, as some people don't experience any problems with the FLD, as others complain about them.
As mentioned before, there are service bulletins and also some people got rid of the issue by changing the exhausts.

Quick Reply: New Dyna switchback Vibrations