General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever Had a Bike With a "Suicide" Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM
John Coyle
HDF Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever Had a Bike With a "Suicide" Shifter?

Just posted over on the blog. Head there to check out a gallery of some cool suicide shifters.

Now, I realize there are plenty of semantic arguments about what constitutes a “suicide” shifter. But for the sake of this question, let’s just say the term refers to a hand shifter, rather than the conventional foot set up which became standard around the end of the Eisenhower administration.

Personally, while I love some of the design idiosyncrasies of old bikes, this has never appealed to me. The only exception I’d make would be to preserve a classic which was factory equipped that way. But how about you?

Ever have a bike with a suicide shifter? Would you?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

I like the way it looks, but I've never ridden one or owned one. I deal with way too much traffic and stupidity to add another element of danger to my bike. It would be cool on a barhopper type bike maybe.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:16 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No but i have always loved the look of them on bikes old and new...

Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 PM
John Coyle
HDF Editor

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I like the way it looks, but I've never ridden one or owned one. I deal with way too much traffic and stupidity to add another element of danger to my bike. It would be cool on a barhopper type bike maybe.
The danger factor and traffic is a huge thing for me too.

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
No but i have always loved the look of them on bikes old and new...
Agreed. They look cool as hell. Just like a wheels without a front brake—but you'd never catch me doing that. Ha ha.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Had a '46 Indian with one. It also had a foot clutch. It was always a good idea to pick your gear before you went into a corner. Not easy to shift in a turn.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 PM
John Coyle
HDF Editor

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Had a '46 Indian with one. It also had a foot clutch. It was always a good idea to pick your gear before you went into a corner. Not easy to shift in a turn.
Did it ever pop out randomly when you were stopped? I guess that's where the whole "suicide" term comes from?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Smoky
Advanced

I had restored a 54 Pan with suicide shift years ago. Rode it for a season then moved up to the mousetrap once I found it was a factory option that year. It always reminded me of driving an old tractor or truck. It was cool but after a season I see why it went away in favor of a hand clutch and foot shift. Felt the same for early springers, the hydraulic front end was a major improvement. Disc vs Drum about the same. It's all what you get used to, or have available at the time. And yes I thought it was amply named "Suicide shift".

Old 10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the MSF advanced skills is controlling your bike, at a constant speed, through a weave with one hand. In turn, it proves you can operate your bike with one hand, if you practice the skill. So....a suicide shift, when used properly and in a timely manner shouldn't be a big deal.

Good point though by Izzo...know your speed going into the turn and be in the right gear.

That being said, I don't have any experience with them, so I could very well be talking out my azz. But, I 'd love to try one out.

Last edited by zion; 10-03-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 PM
LoudFastThrash
4th Gear

I haven't been riding long but I could see myself getting one for a bar hopper around town here. Traffic is relatively slow and easy to deal with, I rarely go above 2nd gear on my sporty in town during the day because of traffic. I wouldn't want it on my main bike though.

Same as running without front brakes, when I bought my bike it didnt have them on it and I had to install them. I love the look of clean bars but understand the danger involved and it'd only be in certain circumstances that I'd ride that way. Not a daily driver.

Also, I always see the jockey arms so short. It'd be way cooler to have up above your knee.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I remember seeing one and thought how cool it looked reaching down and shifting. I got to ride one that was owned by a guy in the club a few times and it was fun but on hills and traffic, it sucked. He had the shifter on a ratchet top transmission.

Would I have one myself? No.

Quick Reply: Ever Had a Bike With a "Suicide" Shifter?