General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What oil do you use?

I want to start changing my own oil and switch to synthetic. I was planning on running by my local Auto Zone for some synthetic oil because the Scream'in Eagle SYN3 at the dealer is $12.95 a quart, according to the parts catalog.

Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if maybe there's a real difference between motorcycle oil and car oil, cause the bike runs so damn hot.

What kind of oil are you using and about how much does it cost per quart?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 631 Posts
Old 10-12-2013, 07:50 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Whatever the shop puts in it but I'm pretty sure it's 20W 50. As for the brand, I couldn't tell you.

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W 50 synthetic is what some here use.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,278 Posts

I know it's close to winter but here goes....I have not used a Motorcycle branded oil or Vtwin oil in my motor in about 40000 miles and it runs fine...I don't drink the Vtwin Koolaid... i use NAPA 15W50 full syn in the motor because it's a Motor or Engine if you want....It's doesn't share the clutch with the motor so a regular oil is fine...Plus it like $5 a qt, sometimes it goes on sale for $3.50 and it's made by the same folks who put out Valvoline...Now at 80000 miles on my 2007 and still runs fine...Formula Plus in the tranny every 20k and in the primary every 10k....

Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,913 Likes on 2,812 Posts

HD SYN 3 - In All 3

Old 10-12-2013, 08:31 AM
OwnerOfHarriet
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

there are many good oils -- and that is the main thing a good oil

as far as synthetics -- Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple all have a good following. As others have mentioned, the Harley does not share engine oil with transmission or clutch -- so you can use regular automotive (not motorcycle specific) in the crankcase. I would be leery of putting regular automotive engine oil in the clutch (even though some do) do to the friction modifiers.

someone just recently posted a paper with wear ratings of many oils -- its a lot of reading

Old 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There's about 1,500 threads out here on this topic...and a couple started by me when I committed to do all my own maintainance. Here are a couple...I know there is a thread I started on engine oil too, but just can't find it.

BTW...I finally decided on V-Twin M1 Full Syn ($10 - $12/ quart depending on where I buy it) for the engine and Redline products for the primary and transmission (all redline about $9 - 12/ quart except if you but it from the dealer...then it's over $18/ quart). Try not to buy fluids from the dealer if your looking to save any $ at all. What ever you do though just remember, don't switch to syn until your engine is fully broken in. From what I've read, that's a big no, no! Oh, and change your engine oil before you put it to bed for the winter (that is, if you do store your bike for the winters...it's tough to ride in the snow up here).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ion-fluid.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...imary-oil.html

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 10-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Now that winter is getting close, and I ride thru the winter, I've been looking around for a winter oil. In the past I have run Rotella t 15/40 wt. The manual says to run 10/40 when the temps are under 40f. I've been looking at VOA'S of different Hdeo's and and I'm thinking this year I'll go with Delo 400 LE 15/40 wt. Mostly because the additive package is slightly better in my opinion, then Rotella's. My bike has always had regular oil used in it ,so it's worked for 55k miles with no oil consumption. Most of the guys I ride with use synthetic oil and when I ask them why, they get a blank look on their face. Its funny they still complain the motor gives off too much heat, and it makes the motor noisey. They will generally keep a bike until it gets about 50k on it, then trade in for a new one. So I'm not seeing what they're paying for. I used to ride alot more, but now a days I do about 6k a year so 2 changes a year work for me.,,

Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Any modern 20w-50 oil will work in your bike, it's just a matter of how much you plan to spend.

For cold weather riding you want the smallest cold start number on your oil, I go with a 5w-40 for winter riding. I use Rotella T6 5w-40, is a good synthetic oil.

Last edited by Markk9; 10-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Man, I have so much to learn. I wasn't even thinking about changing the fluids in the transmission, clutch, or primary. Only have 5500 miles on the bike so I'm guessing those don't need to be changed right now? Have to check the manual on that. I'm not a confident wrench yet, so I hope I don't screw up anything.

Quick Reply: What oil do you use?