Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Sometimes the posts here get depressing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/918541-sometimes-the-posts-here-get-depressing.html)

PiedPiper 10-30-2013 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by gatorlaw (Post 11927455)
Why must almost every thread end up with people attacking, rather then helping and then a recital of every bike they ever owned and the description of the million miles they have logged on one of the 26 Harleys they previously owned?

Yep, exactly why I really only use this forum as a resource for technical information. Never realized I knew so little until I joined this forum.

Kowan 10-30-2013 10:52 AM

128auto 10-30-2013 12:15 PM

1,600miles/year? Are you kiddn? Posers spend too much time on internet forum and coffee shops.
Now get a life! :D

Originally Posted by mrmarklin (Post 11928193)
If you're doing 7k miles a year, you're way above the average Harley rider (or any motorcycle rider for that matter).

In the US average rider does around 1600 miles per year.:icon_user:

You need to keep in perspective that THIS IS THE INTERNET.

Everyone's badass here.:icon_crackup:

Benway 10-30-2013 01:59 PM

Interesting, OP. You can't compare what you do with everyone else because there are qualifiers:
  • Rides 20k each year but is divorced and retired (and/or can't stand the site of his wife).
  • Rides 20k each year because it's always 80° and sunny (and he's divorced and retired and can't stand the site of his wife)
  • Does all own maintenance because he's broke and/or jobless (and would rather be doing that than spending time with his family).

I kid, of course. Myself, I can afford to have everything done on my bike, but I'm just too damn cheap to pay someone to do it for me, and I have to admit I'm not too impressed with a bike when someone says "look what my indie built for me".

I get about 6/7k a year because I avoid the rain like the plague, but ride down to 30°.

I take what everyone here says with a grain of salt. Everyone's a badass behind a keyboard.

dribble 10-30-2013 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones (Post 11930249)
When I meet people in person who will write things here like synthetic oil makes gas explode in my engine at a cooler temp (known as my bike runs colder now) I fix them. When they say things like my tuner fixed the epa lean melt down condition my engine had, I inform them their tuner is still running epa compliant AFRs. I like the I got better brakes now one. Its the easiest and cheapest quick mod one can do. But everyone over looks the fact a sportster stops from 60-0 in the same exact distance an R6 does, with the stock brakes on the sportster. People are just gullible and believe these wild claims by vendors selling nothing, the stock did just as good or better, like when exhaust is swaped out. Here I just laugh and think words like "rookie". And wtf is up with all these dyno runs? Seriously folks. Growing up when we did a mod we went to the strip and ran the quarter to see how a mod changed things. Them dyno machines are a huge waste. A good friend of mine wanted to do a before and after dyno run to compare before and after mods power out put. A well experienced dyno guy told us a stock bike does not put down these kinds of numbers, oh wait you have a lighter rear tire than a stock tire is? Let me fix that. Are you farting serious?! Let me change that!? They can make your bike make any power they want so you feel good about buying useless chit from them. Oh and FWIW folks, that lighter rear tire dropped .3-.4 seconds off his quarter mile times. The EXACT amount a stage one will cost you to drop that amount of time. Dyno numbers are a joke unless you all get them on the same machine run by the same person and hope to god he does not "fix" anything. These days its all about what a biker learns on the web, and what a machine says their bike will do.

When I meet these yuppies in real life, ya pretty much get laughed at till you can prove it at the strip. So I guess I agree with you, I tend to treat people a little different in person. Here it is so much easier to ignore them when you dont have to listen to them blabber the same crap over and over what they learned online and what a machine says their bike can do.

Instead of laughing at those people and calling them names like "rookie" and "yuppie" (which is the reason for this thread) maybe you should try and help educate them. Many, but not all of us know that a download from an HD dealer will not change our AFR and that dyno numbers don't always have a nexus with real world performance. But as much crap as we sometimes have to wade through on this site, I'll have to say that I've learned a lot from people more knowledgeable than myself. I don't look at those that aren't as knowledgeable with disdain or laugh at than them. I try to help them understand how their machine works.

I wish I went to law school. I probably wouldn't know how to measure crank run-out or or know what cam overlap is, but at least I wouldn't have had to bust my ass ass in an auto repair shop for all those years. The way I see it, what knowledge I do have, I paid too high of a high price for anyway.

zeus33 10-30-2013 03:34 PM

Why must almost every thread end up with people attacking, rather then helping and then a recital of every bike they ever owned and the description of the million miles they have logged on one of the 26 Harleys they previously owned? I am far from a "touring" rider. I am lucky to get 7,000 miles a year in on my bike. Does that mean I don't love to ride? No, it means I have other obligations. I am not trying to disparage those who ride more as that is a great gift of time that they have available. But because you log more miles does that make you better? I don't own all the HD branded doo dads. I don't dress like a "biker" whatever that means. I do some of the work on my bike but I also let the dealer do some of the work or my local indy, depending on the project. Based on earnings, I am better off earning and paying for repairs to my bike then I am wrenching on it myself, then I am losing time from working or riding just to say I did it myself. Now I appreciate those who do it all themselves and I am sure it is more economical for most to do the work themselves. Great. But just because some take their bike into the shop does not make them any less of a "biker" does it? Rant over. Flame on!

I'm with you on all that. There are some tools on this site that's for sure. As a matter of fact, there is one idiot on this site that follows me around flinging insults at me every chance he gets. One of his favorites is denigrating touring bikes and the Road Glide specifically. So the dumb ass piled his bike into a parked car, busted his neck, wrote off his Dyna, and now I read he want's to buy a Touring bike. lol :icon_nut:

01fxdxt 10-30-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Why must almost every thread end up with people attacking, rather then helping and then a recital of every bike they ever owned and the description of the million miles they have logged on one of the 26 Harleys they previously owned? I am far from a "touring" rider. I am lucky to get 7,000 miles a year in on my bike. Does that mean I don't love to ride? No, it means I have other obligations. I am not trying to disparage those who ride more as that is a great gift of time that they have available. But because you log more miles does that make you better? I don't own all the HD branded doo dads. I don't dress like a "biker" whatever that means. I do some of the work on my bike but I also let the dealer do some of the work or my local indy, depending on the project. Based on earnings, I am better off earning and paying for repairs to my bike then I am wrenching on it myself, then I am losing time from working or riding just to say I did it myself. Now I appreciate those who do it all themselves and I am sure it is more economical for most to do the work themselves. Great. But just because some take their bike into the shop does not make them any less of a "biker" does it? Rant over. Flame on!

I like puppies!:D

trooper50 10-30-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shep68 (Post 11927581)
Just one thing to remember here. Never let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory. ;)

I like it! Going to use it tomorrow at work. Lol