Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Anyone done their own head porting? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/918989-anyone-done-their-own-head-porting.html)

Road Star 10-31-2013 12:03 PM

Anyone done their own head porting?

Instead of sending it out?

oct1949 10-31-2013 01:10 PM

I am sure there has been,

Then that person usually goes out and buys a new set of heads and have them done professionally by someone who know what their doing.

As a member in here says.

If it was easy, then the girls would do it.

Mike 10-31-2013 05:47 PM

If it was easy, my mom would do it. (at least that's what I always say)

Yeah, I've done some at home porting, as well as valve grinding with Neway cutters. It's not a difficult thing, but it's one of those things that if you want pro results you should pay a pro to do it. My home porting efforts were on the mild end of the spectrum. Cleaning up the ports, a little blending, polish the combusion chamber and exhaust port. It was basically something I wanted to learn, but it was probably more of a vanity project than an actual performance boost.

On the other hand, I could probably make a few bucks on the side doing valve jobs, if I wanted to.

RK4ME 10-31-2013 07:28 PM

This website can give you some insight into the porting biz. The FAQs are good too.

http://deweysheads.com/HDBD_home.html

jm35ny 10-31-2013 07:50 PM

I`m sure you can clean up some of the rough surfaces in the passages yourself with sandpaper, anything more than that i`d probably leave up to a pro. I`m sure its pretty easy to mess up a set of heads

TwiZted Biker 10-31-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Road Star (Post 11934434)

Never seen home porting job end well unless somebody had prior experience and just did a light touch up job .

AllenW 10-31-2013 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 11936285)
Never seen home porting job end well unless somebody had prior experience and just did a light touch up job .

Yup, unless they had several (as in many) sets of junk heads and a flow bench.

Used to do it when building in line 4 Suzi or Kawi motors, but sold it all when I got out of racing.

Not sure it'd be worth the time or expense now, considering the equipment needed and the time, it might just be easier to let someone with a cad/cam mill do it.

Seems I remember spending an easy 75-100 hours playing with a new head I hadn't seem trying to get the flow I wanted, lots of grinding, sanding and bondo trying to get the right flow.

Lot shorter time once the pattern was set, but still a lot of work, I'll let someone else do it now.

Especially if your only doing a motor or two.

Al

TwiZted Biker 10-31-2013 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by AllenW (Post 11936491)
Yup, unless they had several (as in many) sets of junk heads and a flow bench.

Used to do it when building in line 4 Suzi or Kawi motors, but sold it all when I got out of racing.

Not sure it'd be worth the time or expense now, considering the equipment needed and the time, it might just be easier to let someone with a cad/cam mill do it.

Seems I remember spending an easy 75-100 hours playing with a new head I hadn't seem trying to get the flow I wanted, lots of grinding, sanding and bondo trying to get the right flow.

Lot shorter time once the pattern was set, but still a lot of work, I'll let someone else do it now.

Especially if your only doing a motor or two.

Al

Got 3 sets of shovelheads with holes wobbled out bigger than my first wifes and just as useless .

cfreeze 10-31-2013 10:17 PM

Fixed a couple, after someone had a go at it. Lol.

BoonDock_Saint 10-31-2013 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Road Star (Post 11934434)

Yup and if you don't have access to a flow bench, step away from the die grinder.