Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Winter Storage Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/920104-winter-storage-question.html)

MN_RoadKing 11-05-2013 11:54 AM

Winter Storage Question

I know there are probably a thousand threads on this subject but my situation is probably unique, so I wanted to run something past you guys...

Here in MN our riding season is pretty much done, so I'm facing the first winter down time with my bike. I live in a condo with a pretty large underground parking area, so my bike is parked in a nice, warm (will never be below 60F down there) and secure area. I think I know all the standard winter storage recommendations so I'm not going to ask about that. What I really am wondering is what you think of this idea:

Once a month (maybe twice), go down there, start the bike, and let it warm up for 10-15min. Could even ride it around the garage just to keep the tranny and tires moving around a little. There is a wash station on the same level so even could wash it up periodically. Wouldn't have to worry about fresh oil in her, or pull the battery for charging, or stabilize the fuel. My neighbors might think I'm nuts but I could give a rip.

Are there any holes in my plan?

jory434 11-05-2013 11:59 AM

Only thing i would worry about is condensation in the oil from not running the bike "long" enough to "burn" it away... It happens to all our bikes, but if you do it often its not really a good thing to run the bike for short intervals.

I would say you are better off not riding it all unless you can get it to a hot operating temperature and ride it "normally".

Chicago Fan 33 11-05-2013 01:11 PM

Get the battery on a tender, Staybill, don't wash it unless you can dry EVERY inch of it,dont start it,wrap it in bed sheet or moving blankets and wait for spring.. Do a search and you will find a ton of great posts on the subject. One other thing I do is change my ins. to storage only..

DynoGuy 11-05-2013 02:16 PM

I agree ..... the short trips aren't going to get the oil warm enough.

DynoGuy

Tailsfrommycrib 11-05-2013 02:33 PM

Remember salt is not your bikes friend. Once the snow comes and all those cars start bring in all that salt it is a strong possibility that some of that salt will find its way to you bike and eat away at the chrome. This has happen to me before with one of my first bikes so just be careful. I store mine at the dealer and I get 20% off HD parts and 15% off other aftermarket parts. I am usually getting something done so it works out for me.

TheGeek 11-05-2013 02:55 PM

Put it on a tender and say c-ya. Wake her back up in the spring.

MN_RoadKing 11-05-2013 04:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was just reaching for a way to feel that rumble, probably addicted to it!

I need to find a job in Texas....

jeffreydsilver 11-05-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheGeek (Post 11952888)
Put it on a tender and say c-ya. Wake her back up in the spring.

+1 on this! Also put some Stabil (or similar) in the fuel and a cover would keep it clean.

1st 96 ultra 11-05-2013 04:56 PM

park it and say good night , and as stated if the cars are getting even close were the salt is in the air it will fine your bike , might check into storing it at a dealer or some place

baka1969 11-05-2013 05:02 PM

Do not start the bike.