General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio system for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my opinion, but if you have speakers on a Road King you are either going to not hear them without your windshield mounted or you're going to need a system that's so loud to hear over the wind noise it'll deafen you in a couple trips.
I installed the Harley windshield speaker and I think it works great. As for volume, it's a little scary that I play it at full volume on the highway but I would'nt dream of blasting it that loud for long periods sitting on the bike not moving. Realizing that made me think I don't want anything louder.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been riding Harleys for about 40 years. The one thing I always wished I had on those beautiful 4am weekend rides home from a night out with the boys was some tunes to go with a beautiful sunrise. I tried ear buds but they just didn't work for me with a shorty novelty helmet. When I bought my Road king I decided that I would have music on this bike. I don't know what your budget is or how you feel about adding a fairing, but I went with the Quadzilla fairing complete with radio. Although it has a quick detach feature I have never had it off the bike since it's installation. Music may not be for everyone but nothing seems better to me than touring down some country road with the Eagles in my CD player talking about a "Peaceful easy feeling..."

Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
rtbhise
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twistnride
See the two big round things at the back of the motorcycle? Under the saddle bags? That's the only system worth a crap on a Harley................................ .................................................. .......................
I think you're right.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM
bluecollarjoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After quite a bit of research. I got the Touring package from Uniqcycle Sounds fro my wife's Heritage. 400 watt amp with fm radio, a usb and ipod/phone port. Need a better antennae for the radio, but the speakers are good quality, plenty loud and the chrome cases match her passing lamps exactly. Their customer service is great and all parts come with a LIFETIME warranty. What more could you want?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:11 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by rtbhise
I have a 2012 Road King and was wondering what audio system is best for it. Just going to use the handle bar type. I am looking at the Boom Audio from the Harley dealership right now.
I have used the Pyle and Shark systems, at best, both are ok. I researched for a long time and saved up for a pair of the J&M self amplified handlebar speakers. You won't find a better pair of speakers. Few wires, no separate amp. plenty of sound and they mount directly to the Harley switch control housings, no clamping. They are avail in chrome or black and take less then an hour to install. I have run mine at all volume levels in rain and heat. Sound and look the same as the day I installed 'em. They list for about $550, got mine on sale at www.leatherup.com for around $435 shipped. You wont find a better system for a windshield bike.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use this system on my Fatboy:

Work's peachy... and it cost me about $12 bucks.

I don't dig audio systems on bikes. I'm happy for the dude with the loud *** radio... that he has the expendable income to splurge... but that doesn't mean I wanna listen to Molly farking Hatchet blaring out of his fairing.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Duende01
Advanced

I am really digging this set up by jayhawkclint and if and when the need to have tunes becomes a priority to me, this is probably the way I'll go.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...twing-etc.html

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

If a good system existed, I would still be riding my RK instead the SG. I tried several systems and spent several dollars trying and trust me when I say “you can not get a system that you can hear and enjoy with the wind, traffic, road and motor sounds”. If you want tunes look for something with a batwing. Just my opinion, but trying to save you a lot of grief.

Don't get me wrong you will still spend $$ on the sound with a batwing but when you are done you will enjoy the results.

Last edited by 60mike06FLHX; 11-26-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

sitting in the wings seeing where this goes...thx

Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 AM
ecupirate
Cruiser

I have the boom audio system for my rk classic and I really like it. Over 80 it gets hard to hear but overall its excellent!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-08-7632109--1

Quick Reply: Audio system for Road King