General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Cleaning

Old 08-30-2005, 11:48 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spark Plug Cleaning

What's the proper fluid for cleaning spark plugs with? I'm mechanically challenged and the last time I cleaned a spark plug was in 1979 on a Suzuki PE 185. I used gasoline. Is this (or was this ever) an acceptable practice?

Thanks,

bfrmbama

Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Cleaning

I always just wire brushed 'em. Might've used a bit of gas if the deposits were really cooked on. haven't had to clean a plug since electronic ignitions, though.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:57 PM
Markcuda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would you want to clean a spark plug when they only cost about a buck and a half each??[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Johnny
Outstanding HDF Member

Just clean them with a wire brush, have never needed any fluid.

Markcuda, why would you replace the plugs if there is nothing wrong with them?

Old 08-31-2005, 12:12 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just wanting to check the wear after a couple of hundred miles, and since I had 'em out, I thought I should wipe 'em down. I was just wondering if there was something I should be using. They looked good though and really didn't need much of a wipe down.

I had the hd double platinum plugs on my bike when I bought it ('03 Fatboy) and replaced them with Screamin' Eagle Triple Plat Performance at 15,000 miles just for the heck of it. I bought the type made for stock motors. Anyway, I ended up fouling them out after about 200 miles. Therefore, I replaced them with the double plat's and just wanted to watch the wear.

When I fouled out the triple plats, I was in a torrential downpour the day before. I mean a heavy rain. A summerstorm that came out of nowhere. I'm still wondering if it was the storm that caused the plugs to foul out or if I was just using the wrong plugs?

Thanks for the quick replies.

bfrmbama

Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds to me like you need to look at the carb/injection if you fouling plags that often.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:51 AM
Hog_fever
Road Captain

Bfrmbama,
You should not be fouling plugs. Do you have an overly rich condition? Are the plugs oily (perhaps a more serious problem)? I have not ridden in rain but I can sort of understand possible fouling in a heavy rain. Sometimes when in my truck during severe rainfall I can feel the engine starving for air. This could possibly have caused a rich condition for your bike (just a theory).

Old 08-31-2005, 09:50 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Just a word of caution about changing to different plugs. If you vary from the stock plugs the ION sensing that detects knock in your ignition system will be affected and that could cause your motor to knock and possibly cause damage over time. It may also set a code.
There's a topic in the DIY section that explains this. https://www.hdforums.com/m_98758/tm.htm

Old 08-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way you should be fouling plugs... look for the real problem. A leaky valve seal will foul plugs too... And, I'm with Mark. At $3 I'll just replace them.

Old 08-31-2005, 12:50 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't use a wire brush to clean the spark plugs. Any metal getting into the porceline could cause plug failure. Personally, I'd just replace them, but if you really want to clean them, in the old days sand-blasters were sold specifically for plug cleaning. Just make sure you get all the sand blown out of the plug before re-insatlling.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Cleaning