General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your thoughts on a Suicide shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
stockglock1927
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your thoughts on a Suicide shifter

I just got a bike that has a "suicide shifter" (don't know the true name) and I was wondering what you guys think of them. the thing about this one is the clutch lever is on the shifter instead of it being a foot clutch. is this a normal placement for the clutch or is it odd? looks like it will take some getting used to for sure. I have no problem with riding with one hand all the time. I do it anyway.

thanks for you thoughts.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Novel idea for the suicide shifter to incclude the clutch lever but, how does that work in the twisties or slow maneuvers in the parking lot? Surely there was a reason modern day bikes around the world standardized on the foot shift and hand clutch.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a reason why they call it a 'suicide' shifter...

But, in my mind, that setup you have would require less co-ordination than if it was a foot clutch. Either way, I've seen them for many years, so I believe it could be considered 'normal'. Never ridden with one personally, so take my words with a grain of salt...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:09 AM
chprdean
Advanced

I like the jockey/suicide shift set up. However when the clutch in on the shifter itself that gives me the *******.. Granted it doesn't happen often, but when you need to make that emergency stop. These two things always happen:

1)Your ******* puckers up so tight you couldn't get a pin in there with a jack hammer
2) both hands grab the bars to control the bike.

99% of the time the clutch comes in at the same time. How are you gonna handle the bike with the shifter set up in that situation... Just my opinion...

Old 02-28-2014, 10:52 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I rode a bike with one back in the 70s and while I think it looks cool, it sucked for me. There's no way I'd have one on my bike. I guess my fingers work better than my feet on that stuff.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:25 AM
rafael53
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only riding friends's that had foot clutch...not much problem as long as they got front brakes. Never riding your kind so don't know.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:31 AM
jdub099
Road Captain

Originally Posted by chprdean
Granted it doesn't happen often, but when you need to make that emergency stop. These two things always happen:

1)Your ******* puckers up so tight you couldn't get a pin in there with a jack hammer
2) both hands grab the bars to control the bike.

99% of the time the clutch comes in at the same time. How are you gonna handle the bike with the shifter set up in that situation... Just my opinion...
This. That bike would be good for show, maybe some light cruising around town at low speeds or a totally empty highway. In a panic stop you'd definitely want to keep both hands on the bars and just let the engine die. Which is far from ideal because if there's a car behind you and he can't stop in time, and you can't get out of the way because you're bike isn't running, then you and your bike will be the meat in a car sandwich.

Some stuff looks cool but it's not practical for people who want to keep their chances of death low.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Mcdave
Tourer

I dig the shifter but you need foot clutch set up. IMHO

Old 02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
slimburns
Cruiser

I've never tried one, but I don't understand the attraction. Even just as a novelty item. To each his own I guess. They call them 'suicide' for a reason though...

Old 02-28-2014, 01:06 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Originally Posted by slimburns
I've never tried one, but I don't understand the attraction. Even just as a novelty item. To each his own I guess. They call them 'suicide' for a reason though...
Jockey shifts and foot clutches take enthusiasts back to another era when this was standard equipment on Harley Davidsons. Long before the government/attorneys/product liability "movement" stepped in and declared this stuff as unsafe.
Hand operated shifts/foot clutches are from a time when early motorcyclists were true pioneers and perhaps the last of the real, genuine motorcyclists. No internet, no online catalogs, no cellphones to depend on to repair and fix bikes back in the day. Repairs were done on the side of a muddy road by true men with bailing wire. Reliving those times is why jockeys/suicide are popular.

Quick Reply: your thoughts on a Suicide shifter