Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   TIP: Coloring the Heavy Breather air filter to match your bike (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/949856-tip-coloring-the-heavy-breather-air-filter-to-match-your-bike.html)

ib5150 03-19-2014 09:05 AM

TIP: Coloring the Heavy Breather air filter to match your bike

Here is a tip that another member gave me 7 or so months ago when it pertains to the air filter on the Heavy Breather thou it could be performed on any exposed filter.

I wanted the Heavy Breather however I did not like the red filter that was exposed, so like many I kept the black weather sock on it, some people defeat the purpose of the Heavy Breather and add a hard grooved cover to it that limits the airflow due to air only being able to pass through the open areas of the cover. This tip will get rid of the RED filter and make it more eye pleasing on your bike.

1. Go to Wal-Mart or any Super Market and buy Fabric Dye (liquid form) Any color you want, I wanted black so naturally I bought black but you can match whatever color your bike is example: Blue, Orange, white, Green, etc. etc.,

2. Go to an Auto parts store and buy a Filter Cleaning kit, comes with a spray on cleaner and clear oil, Make sure you get the CLEAR oil spray (most are but make sure it is, should say it on the box).

First clean the filter (follow the instructions on the box)

Then get a deep pot add water leaving enough room to add the fabric dye - mix both together,

Then put it on the stove top and bring it to a simmer, turn off the heat and let it stand for a few minutes (3 or 4)

Add the filter and let it sit in the solution for 5 minutes (if the filter dose not fully emerge put it on its side and just slowly roll it back and forth for the five minutes).

Remove the filter and run water over it ( faucet cold side), rinsing away any excess solution.

Let the filter sit on the counter overnight to fully dry.

The next day add the clear oil to the filter as directed by the box.

Your done, no need for the sock or restrictive covers..

Note: As with the Heavy Breather there is chrome attached to the filter don't worry about it as the dye is easily wiped off when washing the extra solution off (same goes with the rubber end piece).

JMC22 03-19-2014 09:42 AM

Before and After pics of the filter would be nice to see.......

RHPAW 03-19-2014 10:10 AM

If you dye it black, how are you gonna know when it's dirty?

Def Mute 03-19-2014 11:34 AM

Some people like a contrasting accent color...
(Good idea for those who don't though.)

How does dying the breather do what a rain sock does? I'm guessing you only meant no need to cover the red filter with the rain sock, but had to ask anyway... ;)

OldEnuf2NoBtr 03-19-2014 01:19 PM

You do know that they make different colored filter oils ?

mmancuso 03-19-2014 01:31 PM

Does it change filtering characteristics? You might not be able tell just by looking at it except with a strong magnifying glass before and after. It wouldn't surprise me to see that this process change the size of the pores in the filter.

AcesOverEights 03-19-2014 02:54 PM

I dont think it will change the filtering ability one bit. The filtering is really done by the oil, not the media. Sure the media keeps the big chunks out, but the fine stuff is caught in the oil.

128auto 03-19-2014 06:07 PM

I use blue filter oil, matched my bike. It was red originally.
The thing is, it lasts a month till it turns black. I don't care anymore :(
http://128auto.com/cover/streetbob/2013_spring14.JPG

mmancuso 03-20-2014 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by AcesOverEights (Post 12461479)
I dont think it will change the filtering ability one bit. The filtering is really done by the oil, not the media. Sure the media keeps the big chunks out, but the fine stuff is caught in the oil.

The oil coats the fibers, but the pores have to be open to let air flow through.

I have no problem imagining the treatment with boiling water causing the fibers to shrinking, decreasing the size of some pores, which would cause others to enlarge. Bigger pores means less filtering.