General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the EZ-UP Center Stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Installed the EZ-UP Center Stand

After reading a bunch of threads on the EZ-UP Centerstand, I installed one on my 2011 RGU today.

The install was easy, just as the advertisement on their website said. Only in the video on the web, they use a screw driver in the first step to hold down the H-Frame stand. The instructions don't say to do that, but it looked easier than what the instructions said, so I used the screw driver.

Easy on yes, but EZ-UP, Not really! If I stand on the side of the bike, it's easy enough. But I don't want to do that cause the bike is heavy as hell. From a sitting position, it's not so easy and because of where you have to put you foot, I find my the back of my lower leg is always banging into the rear floor board when I stand it up.

One thing to note is that if you have had other bikes with a center stand, you're used to pulling a lot more to get them up because those stand are an inch or two taller. On those bikes the rear wheel, and probably the front too are off the ground when on the center stand. With the EZ-UP, both wheels are still on the ground. The bike is just uprighted, so you don't go nearly as far back as you think you need to when its standing the bike up. I guess that is what is supposed to make it so easy.

I'll keep it, because it was cheaper than the Harley stands I've had on other bikes. But, for right now, it ain't any easier.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:16 PM
slowrollin
Road Master

Okay. This has gotten easier with practice and learning where to put my big feet on the centerstand. It's not as easy as advertise, yet but I am a believer now.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:44 PM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

It has been very easy for me since day one,maybe you need practicing a little more but in the end you'll be happy with your purchase.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 PM
harleyultra1969
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits of a center stand if neither of the wheels are off the ground? If it teeter-tottered slightly, I could see the ease of wheel cleaning or accessing the air valves.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:54 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyultra1969
Forgive my ignorance, but what are the benefits of a center stand if neither of the wheels are off the ground? If it teeter-tottered slightly, I could see the ease of wheel cleaning or accessing the air valves.
I'm guessing access to the primary without dropping oil or other jobs that need the bike to be upright. But then I guess I'd use a lift for that. Maybe just to take up less space in the garage by being narrower than a bike leaning on the jiffy?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 AM
slowrollin
Road Master

Well, some of us are little challenged for space in the garage. When a bike leans over on the side stand, it takes up a lot more room than if it's standing upright.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

The placement of a piece of plywood on the ground beneath where the stand contacts the floor will provide an increase in height that allows the rear wheel to spin freely when the need arises and with a bit of lift on the front the front wheel turns also. Putting up the passenger floorboard allows a bit more room for the operation of the stand. I can/will assure you that after a few attempts at using the stand you will become much more proficient at using it and it will become much easier ( almost no effort at all ) to put the bike on the stand. I am 6'2" 260 lbs and my better half is "better than half" and I have NO PROBLEM putting the scooter on the stand with her and I sitting on the scooter ( of course I ask her to move her foot from the floorboard when doing it that way ) ... Give it a bit of time and I'm confident you'll be satisfied.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 452 Posts

Your passenger will love it! Makes their mounting the bike so much easier for them when it's on the stand.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

The real advantage of the center stand is the ability to take a wheel and tire off without a jack on the road. Or work on the bike in an upright position while traveling.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
Your passenger will love it! Makes their mounting the bike so much easier for them when it's on the stand.
Why is that any easier than the passenger mounting while the bike is resting on the side stand?

Quick Reply: Installed the EZ-UP Center Stand