General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Beginning Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:56 PM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MSF Beginning Rider Course

ORIGINAL: grooveman

Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about whether or not I should take the basic course and could use some input on this.. I too rode a lot when I was younger and let my endorsement slide one year when I renewed. But that was 30 years ago and mostly on under 350cc motorcycles.
Now that I have the Ultra I have managed to ride it at every opportunity, albiet illegaly on my MC learners permit (supposed to have another rider in view).. But I feel fairly comfortable on it even though I could use some work on the low speed manuevering.
So I guess my question would be, should I do the same thing and take the basic riders course on a smaller bike, or would there be more benefit to taking the experienced riders course on my own bike? Thanks
IF you're gonna take the beginner's course AND you're confident that you can do the slow speed manuevers on your Ultra, by all means take the Ultra... BUT it sho' is A LOT easier to do those figure 8's on a Honda Shadow 250 (or whatever) than on that 850 lb dresser.
(use theirsmallerbikes,practice on their dime)

THEN

after you've practiced all that slow speed stuff on your Ultra by yourself for a while - go take the ERC. You'll be glad you did.

(BTW - You have to have your own bike for theERC - no loaners available).

Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: GADave
It seems my take on this course is WAY in the minority... everyone had told me that even if you're experienced it's WELL worth the money and time. I even heard "You owe it to yourself". Anyways, with 30 years of riding experience and being a pretty common sense thinker, I feel it was a complete waste of time and can't point to anyuseful new thingI learned.
I took the course in 1990 and, like you, I didn't learn anything new. I did enjoy the class though and did not consider it to be a waste of my time.

Prior to taking the class, I had been riding for many years and I read alot of columns in Road Rider/Motorcycle Consumer News written by David Hough. I used to frequent deserted parking lots and practice all the techniques he wrote about and thought I was a pretty good rider. At the end of the class, the instructors asked if I'd ever thought about becoming an instructor. One thing led to another and I eventually became one.

I have since taught hundreds of BRCs and the older version, the MRC/RSS. Most of the people who take the class improve their riding skills immensely. This includes new and experienced riders. I have had a handful of riders that came in already looking great, but they have been the very small minority. Maybe you fit in that catagory. If so, maybe you should look into becomming involved in your state's Rider Education program. I find it to be very rewarding.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 AM
tplyons
Tourer

I'm taking it in May and am looking to be that guy in the back that actually WANTS to be there.

I'm not taking the new 883C out until I finish that course. I gotta brush up my riding before I attempt to dump a 600 lb. Harley.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding for over 30 yrs and had never taked a course, but when I went to work for the Harley dealership here, they required it (and paid for it), sure I thought I knew everything, but damned if I didn't walk away with some new knowledge.

I've seen too many people die on bikes and as far as I'm concerned it should be law that you can't get your license without first taking a course. GADave is definitely right about who passes, too people pass these courses that have no business being on a motorcycle.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

My son, who is 19 and never rode a motorcycle before, will be taking the course. I htink itis a good idea for him. It is my understanding that a motorcydcle and a helmet is provided for the 30 hour Basic Course andf that you bring your own cycle to the ERC??

Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm from Nashville and just took the course since I have not rode in a few years and just bought a new Harley. Our instructor was great along with the dealership. Everyone learned something, but I have to agree that half of the class should stay with parking lots until they feel much more comfortable.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
turtlebug
Cruiser

I had a few folks in my class that should not have passed. Actually, they didn't pass the riding test the first time and the instructor gave them a second chance. One guy kept tipping on the bike and should have been dismissed from the class after the second time....He was passed []

Some of the things taught in my class were very helpful, I notice myself doing some of the things when I'm driving my car...I think that even car drivers should take the MSF course, then maybe we two wheelers would get noticed more.

In Virginia, if you have the MSF card you only have to take the written test to get your license.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,841 Likes on 8,408 Posts

ORIGINAL: grooveman

Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about whether or not I should take the basic course and could use some input on this.. I too rode a lot when I was younger and let my endorsement slide one year when I renewed. But that was 30 years ago and mostly on under 350cc motorcycles.
Now that I have the Ultra I have managed to ride it at every opportunity, albiet illegaly on my MC learners permit (supposed to have another rider in view).. But I feel fairly comfortable on it even though I could use some work on the low speed manuevering.
So I guess my question would be, should I do the same thing and take the basic riders course on a smaller bike, or would there be more benefit to taking the experienced riders course on my own bike? Thanks
Grooveman,

Take the ERC. You are already experienced with the heavier bike. If you took the BRC, you would be sitting there on day three watching the ERC guys across the parking lot doing what you wish you were doing. Prepare yourself for the ERC with some of the basics of riding your own scooter. When doing turns, look to where you want to end up, not at the ground in front of your bike. Try it in a parking lot where ya have some room. Make an attempt to do a 180 within a space of four parking spaces. That should be pretty easy. As you start your turn, look over your shoulder to where you want to end up. Do that several times until you get the feel for it. Use your clutch and throttle together to control the speed of the bikeand your balance while in the turn. As you get the feel for doing U turns, tighten up on the turning area. If you can get it down to about 2 1/2 spaces, your pretty close to the ERC level of U turns. Practice your braking using the front brake with the rear. If the rear locks up and it starts to drift to the side, don't release it real quick or the bike will violently throw you over the high side. The key to all slow speed circus stuff is keeping your head and eyes up and looking ahead.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jehu

My son, who is 19 and never rode a motorcycle before, will be taking the course. I htink itis a good idea for him. It is my understanding that a motorcydcle and a helmet is provided for the 30 hour Basic Course andf that you bring your own cycle to the ERC??
Correct.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
GADave
Road Master

I didn't mean to sound quite as negative as I did in the original post. Sure don't mean to imply there's no value in this course, I see HUGE value in it for folks who've never ridden or who have minimal experience.

When deciding wether to take the class or to just go road test at the DMV, I talked to a lot of people including instructors and got a unanimous "Go to the class, it's fantastic, even for experienced riders". It's just in retrospect, I should have gone for the DMV road test and gotten it over with. I did meet a new friend who had just gotten an '07 Heritage and we rode together during lunch, so all is not lost. Also got a cool patch and pin.

Now though I'm going to change my recomendation to anyone who's been riding for quite a few years and handles a bike well - just go take the road test. I am considering the ERC, they offer it much less frequently around here and I'm told it's fun. I'm gonna go spectate on one of those before I sign up though... don't wanna sit on the big twin idling for long periods of time in the hot sun with both hands on the grips!

Quick Reply: MSF Beginning Rider Course