Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Help with ape hangers, concerned (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/960624-help-with-ape-hangers-concerned.html)

AceRaider 04-23-2014 08:04 PM

Help with ape hangers, concerned

I just had my 14 inch flyin carlini ape hangers put on and im a little concerned. The bars move forward and backward...sloppy like. Is that normal?

LoneBone 04-23-2014 08:24 PM

I'm guessing you had the install done??

Ask em what damper kit and bushings they used. It's ok to have a tiny bit of play, but not sloppy loose. You've got a bit more leverage with apes, so they will have more give, but again, shouldn't be sloppy....

USMC_Vet 04-23-2014 08:43 PM

I just installed 14" PY bars on my bike. There was some play with the stock bushings. I installed polyurethane bushings and most of the play is gone. I get the bar shake at stop signs, but I kind of dig that! When I say "play", I mean bar flexing back and forth.

Kowan 04-23-2014 08:46 PM

Like LoneBone stated. Movement in the bushings is normal. If they are rotating in the riser/clamp, that isn't normal and should be loctited and tightened.

SPRINGER 04-23-2014 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by AceRaider (Post 12631815)
I just had my 14 inch flyin carlini ape hangers put on and im a little concerned. The bars move forward and backward...sloppy like. Is that normal?

If they are sloppy and loose in the clamp area on the triple trees than I would definitely say no. I don't have Carlini apes but I do have 16" apes on my bike and there was never any slop in my bars whatsoever. I would definitely have then checked out.

AceRaider 04-23-2014 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by LoneBone (Post 12631936)
I'm guessing you had the install done??

Ask em what damper kit and bushings they used. It's ok to have a tiny bit of play, but not sloppy loose. You've got a bit more leverage with apes, so they will have more give, but again, shouldn't be sloppy....

Yes a shop installed them for me. They claim they put the best bushings in, stiffer plastic?? ones? The bars are also moving inside the clamp which i know is BS but the play in the bushing area is a little excessive I would say. I barely pull on the bars and it moves...that type of play...normal?

AceRaider 04-23-2014 10:45 PM

Thanks all for the help...I'm going to take it back and make sure they tighten the clamp area up and ask about the damper and bushing kit. What type of damper kit and bushings should I get or need?? And would you happen to know cost?

AceRaider 04-23-2014 10:50 PM

Not sure the info is needed but I have a 2005 softail deluxe.

Kowan 04-24-2014 12:21 AM

You want polyurethane bushings.

SPRINGER 04-24-2014 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kowan (Post 12632883)
You want polyurethane bushings.

I agree, that is what I have on mine and much better than plastic.