Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Wind shield mods (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/961275-wind-shield-mods.html)

uplandpinter 04-25-2014 09:48 PM

Wind shield mods

I bought a new Klock Werks shield for my bike and I need to trim the outside edges so it will fit my fairing. Any suggestions?

Whiskyjock 04-25-2014 10:06 PM

I covered mine with masking tape completely, both sides, marked the cut lines carefully and made the cuts on a band saw. A jig saw will work but a band saw I think is better. Then a bit of work with a sanding block and yer done. Take your time, measure twice or three times and cut once. I cut too short once and no matter how many more cuts I made it was still to short.

uplandpinter 04-25-2014 10:17 PM

I don't have a band saw. I am thinking a coping saw with a real fine blade. I do have a hand held jig saw but am thing that mite be trouble.

The instigator 04-25-2014 11:21 PM

I have a bunch of experience with cutting arcylic, so let me give you some advice...
1) If you use a jigsaw, the blade must be one use for cutting metal. (Fine tooth)
2) Good ahead and use the masking tape if you like. But it doesnt really do much to prevent chipping.
3) Move the blade through the acrylic slowly, but consistantly.
4) If you have a torch, you can flame the cut to make it nice and smooth. (Prior to this, use a sanding sponge.)
Cooping saws work, but the line you cut with be zig zaggy.
One more thing....Really support the acrylic close to where you cut From underneath.
Good luck.

Mikester48 04-26-2014 08:21 AM

When I cut mine I covered the cut area with masking tape and made the cut with a Dremel tool using one of those fiber cutting wheels. It worked great, left a fairly smooth edge and no chipping.

oct1949 04-26-2014 09:22 AM

I used a Roto-Zip,, cuts the shield like it warm butter.

RANGER73 04-26-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mikester48 (Post 12643484)
When I cut mine I covered the cut area with masking tape and made the cut with a Dremel tool using one of those fiber cutting wheels. It worked great, left a fairly smooth edge and no chipping.

Originally Posted by oct1949 (Post 12643681)
I used a Roto-Zip,, cuts the shield like it warm butter.

Same method, different tools.
This is how I did mine too. But I used a Tile cutter bit.

JCryder 04-26-2014 09:29 AM

I looked at all these options when I took 3/4" off of my shield. I opted to use a belt sander starting with a coarse grade paper and working to finer grades as I approached my cut line. I finished off with a hand sanding block to a perfect finish. This was all done with the shield mounted on the bike and the bike covered with sheets to keep it tidy. My experience showed no chipping or splitting and I felt I was placing no stress on the shield at all. Good Luck with your choice.

pbsdaddy 04-26-2014 06:00 PM

I used the masking tape/jig saw/metal blade method when I cut the headlight relief on my stock Harley Heritage windshield. Worked great and only needed minor sanding with fine grit paper. Emory cloth would be an excellent choice of finishing material.