Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Newbie question - need to drill a tour pak (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/964377-newbie-question-need-to-drill-a-tour-pak.html)

AlBaron 05-06-2014 01:38 PM

Newbie question - need to drill a tour pak

Gents,
as you can probably guess by the title of this post - I'm not very "handy" (and that is an understatement).
I've got an aftermarket tour pak (fairing factory) to which I need to install the docking mounting bracket. The tour pak came with the mounting plate, but not pre-drilled, so I need to drill 4 holes.

Is there some special bit I need to use for it, or will the regular do?

Kenney 05-06-2014 01:52 PM

No, any standard sharp drill bit will do.
Step #1 lay the mounting plate on the bottom of theTour Pack, noting the aproxmant Locations of the holes.
Step #2 using painters tape (the Blue of Green) cover these areas.
Step #3 Now lay the mounting plate on the Tour Pack and mark these locations.
Step #4 Using a center punch or a very small drill bit (turning it by hand) make your drill starting marks.
Step #5 Using the correct size of drill bit (keeping the tape on) drill the holes at normal speed.
Step # 6 If needed, use an x-acto knife to smooth the inside of the drilled holes.
Your set to go.

IzzoQuazzo 05-06-2014 01:52 PM

Any drill bit will work.

Brewmany 05-06-2014 02:13 PM

What Kenney said- use the tape it will help keep the edges of the holes from chipping, that's what I do when I have to drill the gelcoat on my boat.

Unome 05-06-2014 05:32 PM

I'll add in run a small bead of silicone around the bolt holes after you run the bolt through before you tighten down the nuts and then put a little around the nuts. I even ran a small bead on the inside of the your pack around the bolt heads.

egle40 05-06-2014 05:57 PM

Love that quote. going to steal it. lol

TwiZted Biker 05-06-2014 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kenney (Post 12689573)
No, any standard sharp drill bit will do.
Step #1 lay the mounting plate on the bottom of theTour Pack, noting the aproxmant Locations of the holes.
Step #2 using painters tape (the Blue of Green) cover these areas.
Step #3 Now lay the mounting plate on the Tour Pack and mark these locations.
Step #4 Using a center punch or a very small drill bit (turning it by hand) make your drill starting marks.
Step #5 Using the correct size of drill bit (keeping the tape on) drill the holes at normal speed.
Step # 6 If needed, use an x-acto knife to smooth the inside of the drilled holes.
Your set to go.

A center punch on fiberglass or molded plastic ? You really wanna do that ?

seniorsuperglideE8 05-06-2014 06:57 PM

If you have to enlarge the hole any run the larger bit backwards till you just get through the gel coat then you can drill as normal. This way the bit won't grab the gel coat and chip it out.

dugan 05-07-2014 02:53 PM

I need to do the same thing for the back rest pad and tour pack mount. crossing my fingers I don't muck it up.

OwnerOfHarriet 05-07-2014 11:20 PM

I like using a couple of smaller bits working up to the correct size you need