Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Noob question about securing helmet. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/964935-noob-question-about-securing-helmet.html)

Redlegvzv 05-08-2014 09:13 AM

Noob question about securing helmet.

When you park your bike to go walking around and whatnot, how do you guys secure your helmet? It is a little big to carry while moseying around town. My old Honda had a way to lock the helmet to the bike but I don't seem to be seeing that with my new XL1200T Sportster.

Please forgive my naivete' but I am getting back into riding after a very long time not having a M/C.

Clifford05 05-08-2014 09:15 AM

I normally wear a Bell Custom 500 and just stick it on one of the foot pegs.

Redlegvzv 05-08-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Clifford05 (Post 12697837)
I normally wear a Bell Custom 500 and just stick it on one of the foot pegs.

Well, I paid $250 for the helmet and would not take kindly to someone walking away with it. Maybe I'll pick up a little bicycle chain to lock the helmet to the bike.

ChickinOnaChain 05-08-2014 09:25 AM

I have a cable lock for mine, if I'm going to be walking around a lot, like at the VA. If I can see my bike, I'll either leave it on it (which I don't do that much) or I carry it. I didn't buy it for some goofball to steal.

If you lock/leave it on the bike, don't put upside down. I've read where birds and squirrels will leave you a surprise.

harleycharlie1992 05-08-2014 09:40 AM

harley has a helmet lock that bolts to the frame leg and allows you to lock the helmet up see the accessories book, its in there

TKDKurt 05-08-2014 09:41 AM

I stick it on the rear view mirror and it's always there when I come back. I'll lock it up with a cable lock only if I'm locking my jacket to the bike. If I'm not leaving the jacket, the helmet just goes on the mirror. The only time I take it with me is into the hotel at night.

Relax. Who wants your used helmet?

ClodeV 05-08-2014 10:34 AM

I have a nice scopion helmet that i generally leave on the bike with no issue. That being said i do have a helmet lock that i did get from HD that is on my engine guard that i use for extended stays.

ChickinOnaChain 05-08-2014 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by TKDKurt (Post 12697946)
Who wants your used helmet?

Thieving a-holes that will steal anything that's not nailed down.

JustaHawg 05-08-2014 10:47 AM

Don't trust it unlocked anywhere, even parked at a dealer. Go to Ace Hardware, they have a good selection of nice looking cable locks.

TriGeezer 05-08-2014 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain (Post 12698257)
Thieving a-holes that will steal anything that's not nailed down.

Yeah...plus it's not just the lost value, but the inconvenience of not having your helmet to ride home or wherever ya gotta go.