General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old rider's opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:46 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I haven't been on a motorcycle very long by comparison to most people here. I bought a Road King (my first bike) in 2010. I can already attest to all of your sentiments.
Doesnt matter if its 4 years or 40 years. Once you get it, you get it. Ride safe and enjoy!

Old 10-27-2019, 04:21 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Here's to the new riders in 2020!
Originally Posted by kojak
I was reading a post from some "experienced" rider bashing some new ones and I got to thinking. After 41 years in the saddle, if I was sitting on a barstool next to you here is what I would tell you:
1. Glad you took up riding! Changed my life way back when and hope you get a passion for it too.
2. Forget the image thing. Popular culture is kind of like music you know. From swing to twist to disco to pop to whatever the hell you kids do these days! A rider in Boot Hill Saloon on main street in 1975 would probably be incarcerated pretty quickly today.
3. Get great gear that lasts. It will be cheaper and more functional in the long run. A great leather jacket that will last you 40 years is worth $600. If it serves a purpose, wear it. If it doesn't, its extra gear to carry.
4. Its ok to be an idiot. We've all been there. Just learn to be safe. If you want to sit at a stop light and blip your throttle, you'll get over it eventually. Of course, these days you might get a ticket. In the old days, if you rode a Harley in the wrong part of town, you were an automatic hoodlum. Now most Harley customers probably live in better sections of towns to be able to afford them.
5. Its not a horsepower competition. Unless you've really been taught, your ability will never come close to matching a newer bikes capability. So don't waste you money on "mods" unless something really bugs you.
6. Last, go on road trips. Longer the better. I don't mean on a trailer. Become an motorcycle enthusiast (hope I spelled it right). The road is really what being a biker is about. New places, new roads, new friends. Wont matter if they ride Bmw, Honda or Harley. People who ride for the road appreciate motorcycles regardless of the brand and will strike up friendships and share experiences.

The following 5 users liked this post by kojak:
1999 flstf (06-10-2020), 5wheels (10-28-2019), CrBear (06-09-2020), ve9aa (10-27-2019), Vernal (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 295 Posts

Timeless wisdom Kojak! This post deserves a stickee!

Old 10-27-2019, 06:48 PM
gdavis2221
Road Captain

Received 139 Likes on 129 Posts

Good advise.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:07 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

To the new riders this year, welcome!

Old 06-09-2020, 05:26 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Motorcycles mean different things to different folks. For me, I'm with Kojak.

Motorcycle rallies anymore seem to be a fashion show podium for posers. Hey, if trailering your bike to an event, re-cleaning and re-polishing it after unloading, getting all decked out in a costume then hanging out and "playing the role" trips your trigger - go for it. Enjoy; who am I to judge?

I've got leather riding gear and despite treating it now and then, sun, wind, beer and time have given it "a look." Sometimes I'd wear brown boots and/or a brown belt; that's right - brown. Oh well, if my black ones were wet and my back-ups were brown ... oh well. While I have many (many!) black T-shirts I've been known to wear a blue, grey or even white one now and then. I love my leathers but I also have been known to don Aerostich or textile gear as well. Anymore, I wear a full face or modular helmet - even in states that do not require helmets; it's my choice - not the government's!

My bikes aren't always clean but the fluids are and are also at proper levels (only half way up on the engine oil if you want to know). My tires have the correct air pressure. You get caught in the rain on the road and road scum gets on your bike ... and you. Dust from the Iron Horse Saloon in Ormond gets on your bike if you park in the back lot. Packed dirt and gravel roads leading to some destinations make parts of the bike dirty. When I got back to the east coast from Sturgis last August I was happy to see some dirt from the rise (after a rain) up the hill to the Full Throttle still in some places behind my RG's fairing that I didn't notice earlier.

I enjoy motorcyling. I don't know if I'm a "biker" or not and I don't know if I am the type of rider idolized by newbies. I'll leave you to guess whether or not I care. I do hope that whatever motorcycles are to you that you enjoy it, that you (any your passenger if applicable) are safe and that you do not judge others or try to be like others.

I always thought that motorcycling - especially Harley motorcycling was about individualism and non-conformity, but some folks get down right judgmental if your non-conformity does not conform to their idea of non-conformity. I chuckle inside when I go to a hangout favorite place on my route two weekends ina row and get looked at differently when I'm on a Harley with black leather, a black T-shirt and doo-rag compared to when I'm on a Suzuki with textile. I'm the same guy and the wings and beer are just as good ... as is the ride.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jehu; 06-09-2020 at 05:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jehu:
Bandit. (01-18-2021), mctraveler (06-09-2020), Monahan (10-28-2021)
Old 06-09-2020, 06:59 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

41 years. Yeah thats a long time. My dad took pity on me messing with a non-running junk 45 and bought me a new small japanese twin in 1973. I guess thats when I really started.

Last edited by panheadache; 06-09-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:58 AM
thomasverhoven
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:56 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,953 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Kojak,

Loved your post but the one line gets me....

5. Its not a horsepower competition. Unless you've really been taught, your ability will never come close to matching a newer bikes capability. So don't waste you money on "mods" unless something really bugs you.
Your bikes a 131 right.

I do agree most can not handle or use all the power of the new stock bikes. That said, I know I can not off the line out down all the power I have. I can and do use all the power riding the two lanes and mountains.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:44 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 824 Posts

51 years riding for me. Am I past the "new rider" stage yet? Don't have any intention of giving it up anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Old rider's opinion