General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old rider's opinion

Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

I like it!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:54 AM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,491 Likes on 636 Posts

An excellent post expressing valuable advice. Should be mandatory reading. Thank You Kojak!

Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
I was reading a post from some "experienced" rider bashing some new ones and I got to thinking. After 41 years in the saddle, if I was sitting on a barstool next to you here is what I would tell you:
1. Glad you took up riding! Changed my life way back when and hope you get a passion for it too.
2. Forget the image thing. Popular culture is kind of like music you know. From swing to twist to disco to pop to whatever the hell you kids do these days! A rider in Boot Hill Saloon on main street in 1975 would probably be incarcerated pretty quickly today.
3. Get great gear that lasts. It will be cheaper and more functional in the long run. A great leather jacket that will last you 40 years is worth $600. If it serves a purpose, wear it. If it doesn't, its extra gear to carry.
4. Its ok to be an idiot. We've all been there. Just learn to be safe. If you want to sit at a stop light and blip your throttle, you'll get over it eventually. Of course, these days you might get a ticket. In the old days, if you rode a Harley in the wrong part of town, you were an automatic hoodlum. Now most Harley customers probably live in better sections of towns to be able to afford them.
5. Its not a horsepower competition. Unless you've really been taught, your ability will never come close to matching a newer bikes capability. So don't waste you money on "mods" unless something really bugs you.
6. Last, go on road trips. Longer the better. I don't mean on a trailer. Become an motorcycle enthusiast (hope I spelled it right). The road is really what being a biker is about. New places, new roads, new friends. Wont matter if they ride Bmw, Honda or Harley. People who ride for the road appreciate motorcycles regardless of the brand and will strike up friendships and share experiences.

Being an old guy myself, I especially like the last one, #6.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (12-16-2018)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM
mickeylynn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So refreshing to read something that is more encouragement than anything. I get tired of all the bashing. Thank you

Old 05-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Zeus55
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 61 Posts

...at the end, just remember that it takes 40 years to get 40 years of experience!
Cheers!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Kojak, let's meet up at that bar and I'll buy you whatever you're drinking for that post!

Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree 100%. Doesn't matter what you ride, just ride, and don't be a dick.

It does seem like the sport bike riders have supplanted us Harley guys as the new biker hoodlums though. You hear about a lot more incidents with those guys. NYC last year comes to mind.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
I was reading a post from some "experienced" rider bashing some new ones and I got to thinking. After 41 years in the saddle, if I was sitting on a barstool next to you here is what I would tell you:
1. Glad you took up riding! Changed my life way back when and hope you get a passion for it too.
2. Forget the image thing. Popular culture is kind of like music you know. From swing to twist to disco to pop to whatever the hell you kids do these days! A rider in Boot Hill Saloon on main street in 1975 would probably be incarcerated pretty quickly today.
3. Get great gear that lasts. It will be cheaper and more functional in the long run. A great leather jacket that will last you 40 years is worth $600. If it serves a purpose, wear it. If it doesn't, its extra gear to carry.
4. Its ok to be an idiot. We've all been there. Just learn to be safe. If you want to sit at a stop light and blip your throttle, you'll get over it eventually. Of course, these days you might get a ticket. In the old days, if you rode a Harley in the wrong part of town, you were an automatic hoodlum. Now most Harley customers probably live in better sections of towns to be able to afford them.
5. Its not a horsepower competition. Unless you've really been taught, your ability will never come close to matching a newer bikes capability. So don't waste you money on "mods" unless something really bugs you.
6. Last, go on road trips. Longer the better. I don't mean on a trailer. Become an motorcycle enthusiast (hope I spelled it right). The road is really what being a biker is about. New places, new roads, new friends. Wont matter if they ride Bmw, Honda or Harley. People who ride for the road appreciate motorcycles regardless of the brand and will strike up friendships and share experiences.
well said. Why why all these rules from experience riders. Have read the posts just couldn't put into words as you did. Thank you! Kojack. Just another old guy

Old 05-18-2014, 05:05 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Well said, I wish more riders felt the same way.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

From a new rider, thank you for posting that. If ever I find myself on a barstool next to yours, I'll gladly buy you a beer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old rider's opinion