Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Talk about a helpless feeling! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/982537-talk-about-a-helpless-feeling.html)

streeteagle 07-09-2014 07:01 PM

Talk about a helpless feeling!

Out on my usual ride on a great 6 mile twisty, has a quarter mile straight stretch before a sharp left, was in 5th, started to downshift to 4th. My boot hit air, I thought I can't believe I missed that peg, never did before. Well, did a quick looksee & no friggin' peg! I parked the bike as far over to the right of the road as far as I could, there is no place to pull off on that road. So, I start huffin' it back up the road in the 93 degree heat. I knew it could'nt be too far to where it fell off, but finding it would be another matter. A couple cars stopped & asked if they could help, but told them nothing they could do, I just had to find that damn peg! I eventually found it after going about a 4th mile, was laying in the grass right off the road, is chrome peg, was easy to see, thank God.
As I'm walking back to my bike a car stopped & asked if he could help. I told him my plight but had peg in hand & was good. Turns out he was a Harley bro & I told him how much I appreciated him stopping. Well, I'm still a couple hundred yards from my bike & after he left I got to thinking, wonder why he did'nt give me a lift back to my bike. Oh well, he DID stop. BTW, that bastard is on there tight now!

Loc_Tite 07-09-2014 07:14 PM

Been there 3 times- twice with a lost peg and once with the whole shift lever. Peg I found both times on the road because I heard the ping of it hitting when it fell and the shift lever fell and laid trapped against the primary by the floorboard mount.

This is why I carry tools.

Luke Funk 07-09-2014 07:18 PM

WTF! I hope I never have that happen... guess what I'm goin to check when I get home.

AZRider62 07-09-2014 07:18 PM

I'm glad you found the peg and glad there are still good people willing to stop and offer help... all in all a good day.

BTW... cool bike.

Ragtop 07-09-2014 07:45 PM

I always keep a spare shift peg, and my old shift rod in the saddlebags, just in case..

Crex39 07-09-2014 07:49 PM

Blue Loctite is your friend.

sick06FLHX 07-09-2014 08:16 PM

Interesting issue... in my years of riding this has never happened - sure hope it doesn't happen to my pig!

dgdamore 07-09-2014 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by streeteagle (Post 12967582)
...I got to thinking, wonder why he did'nt give me a lift back to my bike.

C'mon, that would've been pretty gay. :icon_slap:

ChickinOnaChain 07-09-2014 10:17 PM

That's good that he stopped but really weird he didn't take you back to your bike. Maybe he was worried about something about you.

lemonade_07flstc 07-09-2014 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Crex39 (Post 12967744)
Blue Loctite is your friend.

+1 On the loctite