Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   What Happened To The Clunk? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/982700-what-happened-to-the-clunk.html)

jeffreydsilver 07-10-2014 10:22 AM

What Happened To The Clunk?

Alright, this is just weird. I'm in the process of wrapping up my life here in NJ and about to make the move to FL. As well as selling my house, wrapping up all our belongings to move and taking care of business, it came time to service my bike. Just not having the time, I dropped it off at the dealer and let them have at it. No way am I going to pick up the bike if FL (shipping it) and first have to service it there.

Well here is the weird part. The infamous "clunk" that all Harleys have when dropping it into first gear from neutral IS GONE! ABSOLUTELY silent!! The bike has been serviced with SYN3 for the past 4 services. Nothing new. Just wondering what happened to the clunk?

fffffish 07-10-2014 10:28 AM

Better clutch adjustment don't worry it will come back

Mars47 07-10-2014 10:28 AM

Maybe you're stressed out.

:icon_tongue:

QC 07-10-2014 10:29 AM

I might see if they could put it back in there. If not for the "clunk," how am I supposed to know it's in gear?

Uncle G. 07-10-2014 10:29 AM

Clutch adjustment? A lot of that "clunk" is from clutch drag.

redstreetglide 07-10-2014 10:33 AM

well it's obviously broke! ... the dealer messed it up!

zeus33 07-10-2014 10:53 AM

On mine if I hold the clutch in for about 20 seconds before dropping it in first there is no clunk. If I pull in the clutch and drop it immediately there is a very pronounced clunk.

Don't know if that helps just another piece of the HD puzzle.

ChickinOnaChain 07-10-2014 10:55 AM

When mine is hot, it's usually less clunkish than when it's cold.

dickey 07-10-2014 11:02 AM

Not trying to dampen your parade, but I'll give you a bit of advice about Florida...it ain't the "pot 'o' gold" at the end of the rainbow that everyone who moves here is expecting. Everyone who moves here that I have known has wound up hating it after about a year; myself included. Florida has lots of sunshine, great weather, & beautiful beaches, and it is very motorcycle friendly, from it's laws to its roads, but that is the ONLY good thing about this state. "Course, what else IS there?

If you plan on working here, expect a MASSIVE pay cut, because Florida is an "at will" state. When it comes to pay scale, they are still in the 70s here. If you are retired, you will prolly be OK.

uklauren 07-10-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by dickey (Post 12970354)
Not trying to dampen your parade, but I'll give you a bit of advice about Florida...it ain't the "pot 'o' gold" at the end of the rainbow that everyone who moves here is expecting. Everyone who moves here that I have known has wound up hating it after about a year; myself included. Florida has lots of sunshine, great weather, & beautiful beaches, and it is very motorcycle friendly, from it's laws to its roads, but that is the ONLY good thing about this state. "Course, what else IS there?

If you plan on working here, expect a MASSIVE pay cut, because Florida is an "at will" state. When it comes to pay scale, they are still in the 70s here. If you are retired, you will prolly be OK.

Don't worry about any of that. It's great here jeffrey. Hook up with us in the FL crew and let's ride.