Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Can anyone beat this? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/991444-can-anyone-beat-this.html)

tafdeluxe 08-13-2014 07:42 AM

Can anyone beat this?

Wondering what the shortest distance is between taking delivery of a motorcycle to an accident?
I left the dealership, went two stop signs, approx. 1 km, and got rear ended. Wasn't hurt but over $5000 in damage to my 30 second old brand new '04 Heritage. Mind you, I probably could have left the stop sign before being hit, as the way was clear, but I was taking my time, considering it was my second stop sign. (First street bike, but loads of dirt experience) It was not a great amount of time and I did not start to proceed and suddenly stop for no reason. Not that this would excuse someone to the rear who is supposed to have care and control. What I still don't get is why she proceeded with my car alarm triggering V & H Big Shots making my presence in front of her very obvious.
I hope no one can beat that!

big cahuna 08-13-2014 07:48 AM

A salesman at my nearest dealer was telling me they sold a bike to a guy, who pulled out the driveway ,and ran into the cement wall support for the train tracks above it. That 15 ft ride totaled his bike.,,

agfox 08-13-2014 07:59 AM

I tried to test ride a Kawasaki Vulcan in the early 2000's. Dealer rolled the bike out into the parking lot, turned around and started walking to me to tell me about it's features. Lady got in her jeep to leave, and backed into the front wheel knocking it over. Only one he had left, I didn't get to even ride. :( At least it wasn't my money yet.

1BRAVO9 08-13-2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by tafdeluxe (Post 13097591)
Wondering what the shortest distance is between taking delivery of a motorcycle to an accident?
I left the dealership, went two stop signs, approx. 1 km, and got rear ended. Wasn't hurt but over $5000 in damage to my 30 second old brand new '04 Heritage. Mind you, I probably could have left the stop sign before being hit, as the way was clear, but I was taking my time, considering it was my second stop sign. (First street bike, but loads of dirt experience) It was not a great amount of time and I did not start to proceed and suddenly stop for no reason. Not that this would excuse someone to the rear who is supposed to have care and control. What I still don't get is why she proceeded with my car alarm triggering V & H Big Shots making my presence in front of her very obvious.
I hope no one can beat that!

I would look into a new concept called dimished value when I settle with their insurance company if I were you.

scumBAGGER 08-13-2014 08:09 AM

I seen a guy do a burnout at the dealer right off showroom floor....only to go from tar to cement and the bike slamed down on the left side then stood back up and slamed down on right side.....

tafdeluxe 08-13-2014 08:12 AM

This was back in '04. The insurance co. was good but I did not hear that term from them. I ended up riding it ten years and 162000km so I don't if the diminished value would apply. What exactly does it mean? Do you get cash for the diminished value?

NDBadlands4-2 08-13-2014 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER (Post 13097726)
I seen a guy do a burnout at the dealer right off showroom floor....only to go from tar to cement and the bike slamed down on the left side then stood back up and slamed down on right side.....

Last summer the dealer I go to sold a guy a new Sportster. With new bike purchases, they take a picture of you and give you a personalized calendar. The guy posed on the bike for the photo, then did a burnout. The bike launched forward and landed on top of the group of employee bikes parked next to the building. 15 feet and wrecked 4 bikes.
Burnouts with new riders are a bad idea.

ib5150 08-13-2014 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Machiavelli (Post 13097682)
I would look into a new concept called dimished value when I settle with their insurance company if I were you.

This statement is true as long as their was a police report and/or an insurance claim!! once a bike has been wrecked it drops in value no matter if it is fixed backup to its original state, the Insurance company should have to pay for the lost value of the bike/vehicle.

ChickinOnaChain 08-13-2014 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tafdeluxe (Post 13097591)
What I still don't get is why she proceeded with my car alarm triggering V & H Big Shots making my presence in front of her very obvious.

Let me guess...she texting

Uncle G. 08-13-2014 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain (Post 13097975)
Let me guess...she texting

Back in '04?