General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for those of you wearing Arai helmets ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default A question for those of you wearing Arai helmets ?

I have been looking for a high quality helmet and have it narrowed down to either an Arai Vector 2, RXQ or the Defiant. I was wondering if any of you are wearing one of those models and how do you like it? I was able to find the Vector 2 and the RXQ at a Honda shop about 90 miles from my house. I am an intermediate oval slightly longer front to back than side to side. I think the Vector 2 felt a little better than the RXQ but it was really close. I discovered my prescription glasses went on really well with the Vector 2 not quite as easy with the RXQ. Big difference in the Arai compared to the Shoei RF1100 & RF1200. With those two models I couldn't get my glasses to fit behind my ears instead sitting on top of my ears. The Arai helmets are expensive but I've never had a helmet fit me that good. All of my helmets have been HJC in a size large with my Harley 3/4 HJC flip down shield being an XL. The Arai size medium fits me correctly while all my other helmets have been the wrong shape and to big all these years. I would sure appreciate some feedback on the Arai helmets. Thanks

Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you find a helmet that fits you well, is comfortable for the long ride and is compatible with your glasses... that would be the one to go with. My first helmet was a 3/4 face Arai and I wore it it for about three years. They have a great reputation as a high end company making a well designed, well engineered product. After my Arai I went with a modular full face, flip-up chin bar Scorpion EXO-900 at about half the price of the Arai which I also like.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 08-26-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

I have the vector 2 and pretty much like the helmet. I can slip two fingers sideways between my chin and the helmet. I would like a bit tighter fit in that area. The vector two is one model that does not have a chin screen. So my chin gets the cold wind in the winter time. The helmet is pretty quiet and I overall happy with it.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:24 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the Vector 2 but i rarely wear it. I wear glasses as well and find they fit well with it. Arai's fit my head very well and have always been more comfy on my head than a Sheoi. That being said I joined the half helmet club long ago and only wear FF when it is freezing out now.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:27 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Just so you will know a Vector 2 owner reported the optional HJC IS-16/FS-15 chin curtain fits perfect and solves the wind under the chin problem. It can be purchased for $5.00 or $6.00 depending on where you order from. Another note, I spoke with Aria customer service today and was advised they are designing an optional chin curtain for the Vector 2 but hasn't been released yet. I'm getting ready to order the Vector 2 and HJC chin curtain from RevZilla. Thanks for your comments.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:36 PM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got the Arai Defiant "Jolly Roger 2" - Wouldn't trade it. It's more intermediate oval where the RX-Q is long oval.

It breathes like there is no tomorrow, even in the 100 degree Dallas heat. It's incredibly aerodynamic, especially with the chin spoiler extended. So aerodynamic, in fact, that I've removed the windshield from the Fat Bob - and 85-90 on the freeway is effortless.

I highly recommend the Defiant over the Vector - it's just got nicer features. Also, check out Revzilla - the new 2015 models are announced and they're sweet. 2 big changes are a little different covering material for the innards - and the cheek pads now have cutouts for speakers (although, it really didn't matter - my Sena 20s speakers fit right in the 2014 ones with zero modification).

Just spend the money. You'll never look back. I do suggest that you go through an in-store fitting - and give your local dealer a chance. They'll most likely give you the same price as Revzilla - except you'll have to pay sales tax.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,200 Likes on 3,169 Posts

I have a few Arais. Quantum2s and RXQs, plus I think I have a Vector or two somewhere. I do some racing as well as riding, and I have two RXQs in flourescent yellow ( one with communication and one without ) for riding. Love them all. They fit me better than anything else I've tried.

No complaints about Arai, obviously. No, they don't sponsor me. I pay for them all.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:03 PM
bmaxim
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just passing this link along. Remember that a helmets primary purpose isn't for looks or comfort, but for safety.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain

Used to be into sport bikes. Rode hard and fast shootin corners on the weekends. When i spent the money and jumped from those cheap helmets like HJC to an Arai, i couldnt believe the difference when out on the road at high speed just in wind noise and aerodynamics. Being for a cruiser probably not going to see a huge difference being "cruising" speed differences but still noticable at 80mph no doubt. The model im sure would be irrelevant since my last helmet was bought 8 years ago now. The ventilation worked sooo much better than the cheap helmets (being in the desert is a big deal) and fitment for glasses was awesome too. Again dont know what they offer in todays line up but then their pads were interchangeable to accomodate different head shape, cheek width, etc. Id check on that to see if they still offer that. Dont see why they wouldnt. It has cut-outs for glasses frames as well and getting them on and off was easy without giving up the snug fit. If had to buy another i wouldnt buy anything but Arai. Love them. Been contemplating having it repainted black to cover the flashy graphics and bringing it out of retirement. Oh and for safety theyre SNELL rated opposed to cheapies that are only DOT (just enough to be legal).

Last edited by Jesse_81; 08-26-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Motonaut
Novice

I wear an Arai Signet Q. Works extremely well with my glasses. Better than my previous two Shoei helmets did.

Quick Reply: A question for those of you wearing Arai helmets ?