General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2000 FXDWG starts and shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:49 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 FXDWG starts and shuts off

Hello All,,,, I have a 2000 FXDWG, that i got in 2001, it has run flawlessly all
this time. My problem is, when i start it up, it runs about 6 seconds and shuts off, if i try to hit the starter it turns over but will not start. If i shut the key switch off and back on, it will start and run fine for 2-3 seconds then shuts off.
I have noticed that the engine oil light does come on when i turn the key on and goes off before the bike shuts down ( i thought maybe the engine oil sensor was bad, but i guess not.) if i start the bike and hold the rpm's about 2000 until the bike shuts down, then quickly turn key off and on real quick the
bike keeps running. I have removed the key switch and disassembled and cleaned, and it still does the same thing. Any suggestions before i start replacing parts ? Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 07:27 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Is this bike carbed or EFI?

Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear

The bike has an S&S on it, I guess whom ever had it before me put that on? Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 07:33 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Then it's not a fuel pressure problem. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear

Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 07:52 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Hello and welcome.
The more information provided the easier for folks to see what the situation might be causing the problem.
2000 FXDWG

I will guess you have owned it since new and there are no modifications to engine, air cleaner, slip-on mufflers and no fuel adders (like a power commander).
Basically trying to rule-out common problems from modifications.
That your bike is in overall very good condition and has not been involved in any major accident. Trying to rule-out electrical problems caused by rust or components that hate salted roads.
I will also guess the electrical system is original, no electrical components have been changed and no accessories have been added. Trying to rule-out charging system gremlin.
I believe that unit might be fuel injected and it uses the M & M fuel injection system.
The M & M bikes, just like a carb bike or a Delphi bike would have certain areas to look at when symptoms occur.
A guess of 40,000 miles. Some items seem to creep into the picture at a certain mileage range.
A guess that all lights are bright and battery is charged. Again, trying to obtain a glimpse of the electrical situation.
The oil light is suppose to turn ON when the key is turned and then it is suppose to turn OFF after a few seconds if motor is running...Your descriptions seems to report that oil sensor is fine.
Per your description it would seem that you have a fuel problem.
If it is fuel injected the fuel sock/filter might be blocked by tank debri or maybe a piece of gas tank liner.
There is also a vent line from the gas tank but if bike was untouched then the vent line should be fine...a quick test would be to start bike with gas cap OFF.
I would inspect for garbage in the gas tank.
A USA quarter sized piece of liner or garbage is enough to block fuel flow.
Turning the key OFF and ON causes the suction to be stopped and the piece moves away from the sock but it will then repeat.
Follow service book to remove access panel if fuel injected (rather simple with basic tools). If it is carb then you have no access panel.
Either way, with safety in mind, syphon/drain from up top and filter gas through paper coffee filter..review for garbage.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear

When i got the bike it had 3500 miles on it, and had an S&S manual carb on it with drag pipes, the bike now has over 35,000 miles on it. its been running fine this year. I do remember a few years ago, that it kind of did the same thing but would run longer and i cleaned the key switch ( removed it, disassembled it and cleaned contacts) and that fixed it. this time i thought it was the same thing, so I cleaned the key switch again and it still does the same thing. I dont think its a fuel problem, because like i had said, it i start it and hold about 2000 -3000 rpm, in 2 seconds it shuts off,,but if i turn the key switch off and on real fast it will back fire and keep running, so it sounds like the spark is being turned off by something, but when i turn key off and on, it resets it and it starts again for another 2 seconds.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:15 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear
Default 2000 wide glide starts and stops

last week I removed the cam sensor, looked at it and it looked fine. then removed the flywheel sensor beside the oil filter and it looked fine. unplugged the ecm and it looked fine, all pins clean. then the bike started and ran fine ! so i put the bike back together and it sat till the other day and i started it and it shut off again, i had charged the battery and thought maybe it was the battery was low, so i charged it again and tried it and it still shuts off after 2 seconds. I hate to start replacing parts at random.
Thanks

Old 09-24-2015, 07:48 AM
bogart19
2nd Gear

Guys,,,, is there any kind of testing i can do before i start spending $$$$$ on replacing parts ???

Old 09-26-2015, 11:13 AM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd try and test for spark when it dies, could be a failing coil and I believe those can be tested. It could also be a loose/damaged batt. Cable. Then lastly a faulty ign. Switch.

Quick Reply: 2000 FXDWG starts and shuts off