Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Topics/Tech Tips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips-59/)
-   -   will not shift, help (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-topics-tech-tips/1069941-will-not-shift-help.html)

01hdfxstd 09-06-2015 09:35 AM

will not shift, help

my bike 01 fxstd duce, will not shift to 3rd sometimes then sometimes there is no problem. I have adjusted the clutch and it worked good . Then a few hours later after not riding, I get on and it will not shift to 3rd again. shifts good and feels good in 1st and when I shift to 2nd, the linkage gets sloppy and will not go into 3rd. can anyone help me ? I've been told I need to replace clutch. you info will be appreciated.

Dan89FLSTC 09-06-2015 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 01hdfxstd (Post 14370129)
shifts good and feels good in 1st and when I shift to 2nd, the linkage gets sloppy and will not go into 3rd. can anyone help me ? I've been told I need to replace clutch. you info will be appreciated.

You are way too early in the troubleshooting process to start replacing parts...

Whoever is telling you to replace the clutch, stop listening to them for mechanical advice, forever...

Is this problem occurring while the bike is moving, or just sitting still?

Check all your shifter linkages, from the front all the way back.

Make sure the shift lever on the transmission is tight and not slipping on the shaft coming out of the transmission.

If all this is good, disconnect the linkage to the shift lever at the transmission, move the shifter lever and make sure it springs back to it`s centered position.

Keep us posted.

01hdfxstd 09-06-2015 10:49 AM

thanks , All the linkage is good. have not disconnected the linkage and test the spring back yet. what could the problem be if I doesn't spring back?

Dan89FLSTC 09-06-2015 11:09 AM

If it does not spring back to the centered position it could be a broken shift pawl return spring. You would probably have already noticed a problem with the shifter flopping down and not returning to its proper position, but it is an easy check to eliminate one possibility.

Clarify: The shifting problem occours while the bike is moving, correct?

You have adjusted the clutch and the clutch cable?

01hdfxstd 09-06-2015 12:03 PM

yes while moving. shifts fine from 1st to 2nd . yes I adjusted both cable and clutch. it doesn't do it all the time

hardheaded 09-07-2015 09:21 AM

if the linkage is good and free and not binding and it's returning to the center postion it's time to adjust the shifter pawel. get a service manual and it will take you though it step by step. no big deal but you may have to grind down an allen wrench.

Dan89FLSTC 09-07-2015 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by hardheaded (Post 14372836)
if the linkage is good and free and not binding and it's returning to the center postion it's time to adjust the shifter pawel. get a service manual and it will take you though it step by step. no big deal but you may have to grind down an allen wrench.

You can only adjust the shifter pawl on `99 and earlier 5 speed transmissions.

If none of the suggestions works it will be time to lift the top cover from the transmission to inspect the shift drum and shift detent roller assembly. No big deal, except the bike is a Softail, which makes it a pain in the....

dfwhockey17 09-07-2015 11:46 PM

If the linkage is okay as you say, it may be time to pull the top cover and check the drum/pawl/shift forks for wear/damage...