General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

tool chest purchase, tips? what to look for & avoid? & buying quality tools

Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

I think my Husky does the job. I have seen a few that are similar at Home Dept and Lowes for a good price.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I used to have this old Craftsman setup that I'd accumulated over time since the late 70's early 80's which had steel wheels and was a lot better quality than a similar looking set made today. I repainted orange for some reason about 15 years ago.

It was starting to show it's age so I sold it a year or so ago in favor of this larger setup. The top chest is Craftsman but the bottom roller is a Homak with a Craftsman badge.

Tools are a combination of Craftsman, Snap-On, HUSKY, SK and a few others from the 50's on up.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts

I lucked into a used Snap-On almost 30 years ago and worked out of it for several years, fantastic piece of equipment

whatever someone buys, make sure it has roller bearings on the slides if at all possible. what a difference they make

Old 10-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Pachuco
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

If you know what you are doing some of the HF stuff is really good.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:05 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

I've had this tool box for a little over 4 yrs now and have been very pleased. The drawers open and close very smooth. They have a detent when they close. The box seems to be very solidly built.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52...B11S/301434732

Old 10-10-2018, 09:28 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I have a nice sears top an bottom set but I'm thinking of getting one of these so I can keep all my tools in it an have the wood block work top. I live in a condo an garage space is limited.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46...C9XD/303101236

Old 10-13-2018, 03:51 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,227 Likes on 5,988 Posts

I saw this and dove in again.... just wondering if the original poster ever found a box???? I looked through our local craigs list and saw a number in there. Should be able to find something there, if he can't at the local places. I agree with a couple others.... if the box is stationary and not moved, some of the lower quality should be fine for home use. Mine sits in the corner of the garage and has not been moved in 33 years. But then it's a Snap-On upper and lower so.....

Old 10-14-2018, 09:35 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I saw this and dove in again.... just wondering if the original poster ever found a box???? I looked through our local craigs list and saw a number in there. Should be able to find something there, if he can't at the local places. I agree with a couple others.... if the box is stationary and not moved, some of the lower quality should be fine for home use. Mine sits in the corner of the garage and has not been moved in 33 years. But then it's a Snap-On upper and lower so.....
I am the OP, and, not yet. Def want one on wheels that locks. Looking at selling the house next Spring so in back of mind waiting to move to get one (so one less big thing to move), UNLESS I see a winner on sale over the holidays etc.

FBook has had a few in their Marketplace, but nothing enough to hop on yet. No issue w/ used if the price is right. Had a Northern Tool coupon few years back for like $100 off one, shoulda pulled the trigger then but didn't.
Once I buy, will post, just dunno when that'll be yet. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Pachuco
If you know what you are doing some of the HF stuff is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swTDW8JQXU

I bought this box to put my most used tools in to wheel up to the bike or car I am working on. For that purpose, I LOVE this thing. garagejounral.com has some great threads on this topic and the consensus is harbor freight boxes are worth the money. I wouldn't be afraid of one as a shadetree after using the one mentioned. Personally, I like think the Husky/Lowes/Home Depot brands look like decent boxes.

Like anything else mentioned here, buy once, cry once. Get the box you need. You'll be working out of it for years. Ball bearings are worth the money. Drawer mats can be bought relatively cheap at harbor freight or go tot dollar general and buy rolls of rubber shelf liner for $3.99 Same stuff Sears sold for $30.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 AM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

another option is if you know someone who frequents the tool trucks often, they will sometimes get another brand box in on trade and sell it relatively cheap to a regular customer (since its not their brand). So a friend might be able to pick up a good used box cheap if you gave them the cash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tool chest purchase, tips? what to look for & avoid? & buying quality tools