General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Love Jugs New Mighty-Mite Cooling Fan

Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,847 Likes on 21,296 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Just received an email from Steve relaying a message from Dave the engineer. When Dave saw my pic on their website, he recommended I remove the headbolt covers (the covers around the spark plugs)....he said it reduces the cooling ability "substantially". So I removed the covers tonight and will be painting the bare area with high temp engine paint tomorrow so I can get more benefit from the fan.....probably will now reduce engine temps by 100 degrees without the covers.

Got an oil cooler?

I have an oil bud oil cooler and never hit over 260/270.
No fans.

I would freak out if I was hitting 400. lololol or even much over 300 for that matter.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

Just received an email from Steve relaying a message from Dave the engineer. When Dave saw my pic on their website, he recommended I remove the headbolt covers (the covers around the spark plugs)....he said it reduces the cooling ability "substantially". So I removed the covers tonight and will be painting the bare area with high temp engine paint tomorrow so I can get more benefit from the fan.....probably will now reduce engine temps by 100 degrees without the covers.

Hmm.... seems like I remember saying the same thing...

T.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:41 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Hmm.... seems like I remember saying the same thing...

T.
Yes thanks. Had that top of mind after you mentioned it, but opted to leave it since the fan reduced temps about 50 degrees. I read some testimonies on their website and many said it brought it down 100 degrees...and I was nowhere close to that so when Steve "suggested" I remove the covers since it reduces the cooling abilities substantially, I figured I would try it....at least now I can see the impact of removing those covers. I now have to paint the heads because I hate the burnt off powdercoat look.

Thanks for the observation.

Last edited by hscic; 04-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Got an oil cooler?

No fans.

I would freak out if I was hitting 400. lololol or even much over 300 for that matter.
I am assuming you are not riding a Sportster.

Here is what Kevin of DK Customs said about the differences in temp between a Sportster and a Twin Cam:

The Sportster is the most "honest" engine HD is currently making. The sensor is reading at the top of the rear cylinder. It is not even warmed up until 280*, and normal operating temps range between 350-420 off that sensor (which the PV displays as ET).

On Twin Cams the sensor is near the intake valve of the front cylinder. It is warmed up around 170*, and normal operating temps range between 210-230. (however, the Twin Cams have a real heat issue, and it is not unusual to see them higher than 300...while this is normal, it is NOT good).

Even at 230*, the Twin Cam is running Hotter than the Sportster at 400*. How? The temp on the front cylinder (front cylinders are always cooler) near the intake valve (which is the coolest part of the head) is an artificially low number. Taking the temp on the rear cylinder, right above the combustion chamber, gives a much more informed reading of the engine temp. Since there is no sensor on the Twin Cam at the center top of the rear cylinder (and no way to shoot a infrared in there), I don't know how hot that is getting, but it's a pretty safe bet it is MORE than 400*.

The temps you're getting are fine. If you ever get stuck in hot weather, in stop & go, you might see it creep up to 420*, if it starts going higher, I would either shut down, or get some air moving over the engine.

My 883, converted to a 1250, will run all day long, in 100* ambient temps, and will range between 380 and 410, depending on how hard I running.

Here is a shot of what someone shared about min/max engine temps:

Last edited by hscic; 04-08-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,256 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Got an oil cooler?

No fans.

Just a reminder that these are head temps, not oil temps....

T.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:50 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Removed my head covers (spark plug covers) and painted area.

With head covers:

Without head covers before painting:

Without head covers after painting:

The area that needs the fan is behind the spark plug where air can flow through the cylinder heads. My covers were definitely for bling and not for function. You can see the air flow-through ventilation in the heads in the before pics.

Last edited by hscic; 04-09-2017 at 03:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by hscic:
Love Jugs (04-08-2017), pearsom (04-14-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

I read some testimonies on their website and many said it brought it down 100 degrees...and I was nowhere close to that so when Steve "suggested" I remove the covers since it reduces the cooling abilities substantially, I figured I would try it....at least now I can see the impact of removing those covers.
Tested cooling without covers and the 100 degrees is an exaggeration or it could perhaps apply only to the larger fans like the Cool-Master....but definitely not the Mighty Mites.

It did bring temps down even more but not as much as I expected. In heavy traffic, was running no higher than 350 degrees which is great (360-380 with covers). When I got out of traffic and was running at highway speeds i.e. 65-70 mph, engine temps rose to 375-380.

So my assessment is your engine will run 50-75 degrees cooler with the Love Jugs Mighty-Mite.

Last edited by hscic; 04-21-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Here is how Kevin at DK Customs explained it...

The Sportster is the most "honest" engine HD is currently making. The sensor is reading at the top of the rear cylinder. It is not even warmed up until 280*, and normal operating temps range between 350-420 off that sensor (which the PV displays as ET).

On Twin Cams the sensor is near the intake valve of the front cylinder. It is warmed up around 170*, and normal operating temps range between 210-230. (however, the Twin Cams have a real heat issue, and it is not unusual to see them higher than 300...while this is normal, it is NOT good).

Even at 230*, the Twin Cam is running Hotter than the Sportster at 400*. How? The temp on the front cylinder (front cylinders are always cooler) near the intake valve (which is the coolest part of the head) is an artificially low number. Taking the temp on the rear cylinder, right above the combustion chamber, gives a much more informed reading of the engine temp. Since there is no sensor on the Twin Cam at the center top of the rear cylinder (and no way to shoot a infrared in there), I don't know how hot that is getting, but it's a pretty safe bet it is MORE than 400*.

Here are some min/max temp ranges for different types of bikes....

Those temperatures (in the table you presented) are the range where the PV in AT mode will collect data. For example, in the table that you provided (for big twin) the PV will not start the AT function (collecting data) until the ET is at 167 degrees and it will stop (collecting data) when the ET is over 300 degrees. Those are just default settings in the PV.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oleboy
Those temperatures (in the table you presented) are the range where the PV in AT mode will collect data. For example, in the table that you provided (for big twin) the PV will not start the AT function (collecting data) until the ET is at 167 degrees and it will stop (collecting data) when the ET is over 300 degrees. Those are just default settings in the PV.

As the documents states, it is the Default Autotune Settings for PowerVision.

The Min/Max temps are used to filter characteristics outside normal full operating temps. It allows AT to only populate corrections within optimum temp. Hence the ranges in the documents are considered "Normal Operating Temps".

Old 04-23-2017, 08:40 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

As the documents states, it is the Default Autotune Settings for PowerVision.

The Min/Max temps are used to filter characteristics outside normal full operating temps. It allows AT to only populate corrections within optimum temp. Hence the ranges in the documents are considered "Normal Operating Temps".
Thanks for the info. I'm sure the DJ info is solid, but do you know if there is anything published by Harley that indicates what they consider to be "Normal Operating Temps"?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Love Jugs New Mighty-Mite Cooling Fan