General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Love Jugs New Mighty-Mite Cooling Fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

A thread is not worth reading if it does not contain honest and upfront information good and bad...so I am sharing my experiences with LJ and the fan so far.

I have been running my Love Jugs Mighty Mite since frist ship....it is a great fan, but encountered two issues with the fan. This first was easily corrected but the second is a little more involved.

The first was a faulty fuse.....my fan just stopped working after a week so after assessing my wiring install, I replaced the fuse with a quality fuse and it has been running fine since.

The second issue is the fan switch does not turn off. My wiring is connected to the bike's accessory so when I turn on the ignition, bike provides power to the fan. I still can turn the fan off and on with the switch on the fan. Now the fan goes on and off with the ignition but I can not turn off the fan with the switch.....so probably faulty switch or wiring. I requested assistance from Steve who referred me to Dave (I believe the engineer)....Steve responded within 24 hours 7/11, BUT have not received a response from Dave to correct my issue yet (7/12)....will keep you posted on LJ's repair service.

Received update from Dave this morning 7/13 - said he will send new switch and allen wrench. He provided instructions to replace switch and said I will receive it on Monday 7/17. Pretty good response time and pretty good customer/repair service in my opinion.

Last edited by hscic; 07-27-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:40 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Just wanted to share my new horn using the same custom bracket for the fan.

For those curious about how loud the horn is, here is a vid of the horn..
Deleted sound vid - did not sound anything like the HD loud side mount horn and did not do it justice.

Last edited by hscic; 07-22-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:47 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
A thread is not worth reading if it is does not contain honest and upfront information good and bad...so I am sharing my experiences with LJ and the fan so far.

I have been running my Love Jugs Mighty Mite since frist ship....it is a great fan, but encountered two issues with the fan. This first was easily corrected but the second is a little more involved.

The first was a faulty fuse.....my fan just stopped working after a week so after assessing my wiring install, I replaced the fuse with a quality fuse and it has been running fine since.

The second issue is the fan switch does not turn off. My wiring is connected to the bike's accessory so when I turn on the ignition, bike provides power to the fan. I still can turn the fan off and on with the switch on the fan. Now the fan goes on and off with the ignition but I can not turn off the fan with the switch.....so probably faulty switch or wiring. I requested assistance from Steve who referred me to Dave (I believe the engineer)....Steve responded within 24 hours 7/11, BUT have not received a response from Dave to correct my issue yet (7/12)....will keep you posted on LJ's repair service.

Received update from Dave this morning 7/13 - said he will send new switch and allen wrench. He provided instructions to replace switch and said I will receive it on Monday 7/17. Pretty good response time and pretty good customer/repair service in my opinion.
Received fan switch and allen wrench today 7/17/17 as promised by Dave.

Now to find the time to replace.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:42 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Done replacing the switch today. Simple task. Remove fan from mounting bracket, unscrew 2 allen screws on back, remove back plate, pull connector to switch, unscrew switch, replace switch, screw switch, plug connector, replace backplate, screw in allen screws, re-install fan on mounting bracket. Works perfectly...great repair service by Dave at Love Jugs. Although when unscrewing the two allen screws, one of them was stripped or the hole was too large i.e. would not screw in or unscrew, just spinned....good thing the other screw was functional and could tighten to close the back plate.

Here are some pics:

Had to remove this advertisement washer...sorry LG, not aesthetically pleasing, but the fan itself still prominently displays the LJ name.

Last edited by hscic; 07-19-2017 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Just read this write-up by DK Customs about "Little Known Performance Mods aka Sleeper Mods" ...interesting read.
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/slee...mance-mods.htm

One is to keep engine temp between 310 and 375 degrees with the objective to keep cylinder walls at an optimal temp of 190 degrees. To accomplish this several mods need to exist. One of these mods is the use of a cooling fan which is why I am posting this write-up on this thread. There are other things that can be done but just sharing this info here.

I run the LJ Cooling Fan which keep my engine temp within the recommended range in normal and slow traffic to contribute to the optimal temp. I also run an EBS, unrestricted exhaust, and a high performance oil filter which contribute to optimal temp. Of course, you also need a good tune. All of this to get the best power/perfromance out of your stage 1.

Last edited by hscic; 09-09-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

I find it hard to see how such a small fan [fans] can really make much difference to engine temp. Wouldn't it be better to make some kind of 'scoop' to direct more cool air to the engine ?...b.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by beanoboy
I find it hard to see how such a small fan [fans] can really make much difference to engine temp. Wouldn't it be better to make some kind of 'scoop' to direct more cool air to the engine ?...b.

Perhaps rerouting air would work as well, but try riding in DAILY slow stop and go traffic for about 10 miles in 1st gear feathering your clutch...don't think the scoop will help much. The fan has brought my engine temp down quite a bit....never came close to 400 with the fan whereas without the fan, 400+ was a common occurrence.

Last edited by hscic; 09-11-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:42 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Just another testimony: Today got caught in parade-like stop and go traffic. When I looked at my engine temp off my Powervision, it read 397 degrees and going up. I said what the heck is going on...come to find out, I had my fan turned off. So at about 400 degrees, I turned the fan on in the same stop and go traffic. My temp went down to 345....at 55+ degree decrease in a few minutes. Just awesome to have a fan.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:25 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Just another testimony: Today got caught in parade-like stop and go traffic. When I looked at my engine temp off my Powervision, it read 397 degrees and going up. I said what the heck is going on...come to find out, I had my fan turned off. So at about 400 degrees, I turned the fan on in the same stop and go traffic. My temp went down to 345....at 55+ degree decrease in a few minutes. Just awesome to have a fan.
****, four hundred degrees? I get uptight when I see 300! With my fans, a good tune and an Ultracool fan assist oil cooler I’ve barely been able to break 300, even on the hottest dog day of NY summer.

I know that doesn’t compete with my southern or southwestern brethren, but it’ll easily hit mid-90’s all day.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

hscic. You'd probably get the full benefit of your cooling fans by taking your spark plug cover shields off. The greater portion of the air pushed out by these excellent fans is actually supposed to blow through the holes cast in to the head. That is the intent anyway. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Love Jugs New Mighty-Mite Cooling Fan