General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Choke ='s no joy, intake leak? 77 Ironhead XLCR

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:15 PM
open1mind
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Choke ='s no joy, intake leak? 77 Ironhead XLCR

All
Thanks for the add to the forum not long ago, and for the great info contained in this forum. I am long time rider, who has only recently gotten braver about doing my own wrenching.

I bought great bike not long ago- 77 XLCR. Some on the forum may not even know what that is, and most have never seen one in the wild. I always wanted one, so... you know the rest.

My problem has been that the bike has been hard to start and poor at idling. I did fiddle with the idle adjustment, but it doesnt really solve the problem. It starts quite reliably if I pump the throttle- but WILL NOT TAKE ANY CHOKE AT ANY TIME. PERIOD. It will not start with it on, I cant use 1/2 choke to keep it running while warming up, etc. Choke='s stall, pretty much right away.

I have a good connection to the good fella that runs Ironhead motors, and he is an recognized expert on these bikes. Based upon his guidance he said an intake leak could cause those symptoms. I am in the process of replacing the intake orings (or at least trying), and cleaning out the pilot jet (done).

Since I have the carb off does anyone have any experience with a choke averse bike? It is not fun to need to use the throttle to keep it running while cold. Plus, if I adjust the idle up too high it races at stoplights when warm. adjust it lower and it stalls without throttle.

I fully understand that idle/mixture screws will need careful adjustment when I put it back together. Just thinking that the choke='s death seems uncommon and I did not see anyone with the same ailment in several searches of threads here.

Thanks to all

Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

What carb is on it? Probably needs a good clean up and a rebuild. Strip down the carb, and let it soak in PineSol and water for a couple of days removing and brushing it with a tooth brush occasionally. Pretty soon it will look almost brand new and you'll know it's done.

Then rinse it thoroughly in hot water and blow it out gently until dry. Install a rebuild kit, adjust the float and try it then. Don't forget to change the intake seals and clamps also.

Last edited by Hey Man; 04-28-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:15 PM
open1mind
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Its the factory Keihen... specific to that year. Im underway with the tasks that you describe. With any luck I wont lose any parts, or fingers...