General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Street rod 750 break-in / optimal rpm

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 03:45 PM
JonasT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street rod 750 break-in / optimal rpm

Hey guys,

I just got my XG750A Street Rod, already have a couple hundred of miles on it. Excited AF.

Regarding break-in - the manual says that one needs to keep revs below 5k for first 50 miles and below 7k for first 500 miles. Does that mean that I can run with throttle fully open and aggressively, as long as rpms are below these limits? Or should I also consider driving moderately all in all?

Also, what is the best/healthiest rpm level for these engines? i.e. constant rpm level to cruise at whatever the speed is

Thanks! And sorry of this sounds silly, its been only 2 weeks since I got into motorcycle world

Old 07-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasT
Hey guys,

I just got my XG750A Street Rod, already have a couple hundred of miles on it. Excited AF.

Regarding break-in - the manual says that one needs to keep revs below 5k for first 50 miles and below 7k for first 500 miles. Does that mean that I can run with throttle fully open and aggressively, as long as rpms are below these limits? Or should I also consider driving moderately all in all?

Also, what is the best/healthiest rpm level for these engines? i.e. constant rpm level to cruise at whatever the speed is

Thanks! And sorry of this sounds silly, its been only 2 weeks since I got into motorcycle world

break in periods are mainly for the piston rings can get used to being inside the barrels so you don't smoke white or black coming out your exhaust. Also this might be an old wives tale but the logic behind it is solid...

Old 07-20-2017, 03:24 PM
JonasT
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jchaiyo
break in periods are mainly for the piston rings can get used to being inside the barrels so you don't smoke white or black coming out your exhaust. Also this might be an old wives tale but the logic behind it is solid...
I understand the purpose of if and no questions on the need of it. What I'm asking is if RPM limit is the only thing I should care and if I can open throttle as aggressively as I want as long as RPM limit is not breached

Old 07-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I understand the purpose of if and no questions on the need of it. What I'm asking is if RPM limit is the only thing I should care and if I can open throttle as aggressively as I want as long as RPM limit is not breached

ride it like you stole it

Old 07-25-2017, 08:37 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Yes, you can get aggressive on the throttle. Welcome!

Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I flogged the hell out of mine right off the floor, the dealer got a kick when I pulled a wheelie out of the dealer. Loads of gumption, you create a better seal with a properly loaded break in. I use this as a guide for all my machines:http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I'm now cresting 7K miles and it runs like a rapped ape! Run it Hard!

Best,