General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Rock Dent in Front Fender

Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 PM
ROC OUT
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rock Dent in Front Fender

Curious to know if anyone has had a rock dent their front fender from the underside of the fender outward? Must have had a rock lodged in the tread of the front tire on my 2016 Fat Bob. When the rotation speed of the tire released the rock it dented the fender from the inside out. Now the paint is spider web cracked and it will cost $496 to replace the fender with a HD OEM part.

Has this happened to anyone else on any other bike and what did you do?

Old 08-30-2017, 01:25 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Never had that happen in almost 50 years of riding. That's not to say it can't happen. Why don't you get an estimate from a good body shop to repair it?
You didn't say what color it is, but I've seen almost new Dyna fenders on ebay for around $200.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,242 Likes on 11,134 Posts

I've had a big dent from a road gator in my front fender removed by a Paintless Dent Removal company. Fortunately there was no paint damage.

IMHO...it would cost a body person nearly as much as a new HD fender, to get a close to HD finish. So, I'd just go with an factory painted fender....especially since your bike is sol new.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:34 PM
ROC OUT
Novice
Angry

Originally Posted by nevil
Never had that happen in almost 50 years of riding. That's not to say it can't happen. Why don't you get an estimate from a good body shop to repair it?
You didn't say what color it is, but I've seen almost new Dyna fenders on ebay for around $200.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, and this is my first Harley and I had it for only 3 months when this happened.

I have been to two good shops here in Austin and neither will work on motorcycle parts. Will keep looking.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:35 PM
ROC OUT
Novice

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
I've had a big dent from a road gator in my front fender removed by a Paintless Dent Removal company. Fortunately there was no paint damage.

IMHO...it would cost a body person nearly as much as a new HD fender, to get a close to HD finish. So, I'd just go with an factory painted fender....especially since your bike is sol new.
I think you are correct. Have one other trick up my sleeve and then may just bite the bullet and order a new fender from HD. Thanks!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:03 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Ck to make sure all your wheel weights are still on the wheel. More than one weight has flew off the rim and smacked the underside of the fender, denting it.

My friend just had a quarter size hunk of paint knocked off his 2017 trike. The paint guy th HD shop uses took a look at it and right way said you might as well buy a new painted fender as a repair and repaint would be close to the same price as a new one.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 PM
ROC OUT
Novice

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Ck to make sure all your wheel weights are still on the wheel. More than one weight has flew off the rim and smacked the underside of the fender, denting it.
That is an excellent observation!! I never would have thought about a wheel weight causing the damage. Just assumed it was a rock all this time but a wheel weight makes more sense. I will check and report back as to what I find.

Thank you very much for that suggestion.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Cover it with one of those bullet hole decals..

Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck

My friend just had a quarter size hunk of paint knocked off his 2017 trike. The paint guy th HD shop uses took a look at it and right way said you might as well buy a new painted fender as a repair and repaint would be close to the same price as a new one.
this happens more than one would think. if you are missing any weights and it's under warrenty i would have a talk with the dealer. if not you are on your own. get rid of the metal weights and run ride-on balancer and sealer in your wheels. smooth as can be, plus apucture sealer to boot. good stuff !

The following users liked this post:
ROC OUT (08-31-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Paint it like a pimple and consider it added character?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rock Dent in Front Fender