General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Do you use RTV on the Primary cover gasket?

Old 09-06-2017, 03:29 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Do you use RTV on the Primary cover gasket?

I am replacing my stator this weekend and need to remove the Primary cover. I purchased a new gasket, I am just wondering if I should use RTV on the gasket before reassembly.

I am guessing no, but I wanted to see what the techs on the board have to say.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,243 Likes on 11,134 Posts

Nope, and no gasket cement either. Buy a new HD gasket. Clean the surfaces well, and install the bolts in the recommended order per the torque specs. Had mine off a few times, and it is still good. If the mating surfaces are damaged...that may be another story.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM
breakman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 1,215 Posts

I wouldn't use RTV anywhere on a Harley.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:28 PM
bradleys
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks guys, that was my thought as well. I picked up a new gasket along with the new Stator. I expect this to be at least a 6 pack job...

Old 09-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

I have twice. I lay it on a piece of clean cardboard. I just film it Black RTV. NO MORE. Then, I stick it over the dowels and torque in outward per the manual with just a T wrench with the 1/4 allen in it between my fingers. I WAIT till bead dries the next day and roll it off the edge like a black rubber band. Warm it and retorque slightly when warm. Next time you pull cover, it will peel right off.
Do it on the cam galley cover also.. It fills those minor scratches. Some primary covers are warped as much as a 1/32 front to back. That face is a casting. Of course, the engine is machined.

Examine the faces well. With no gasket, put your cover on and see if you have any shake. Harleys's gasket has a slight V shape and is three layers. However, RTV black adds a little protection. Don't even think about trying it unless you have a day for it to dry. You use it and start wiping up with it wet and you will make a horrible mess especially on a mat finish or Harleys black rough powder coat...

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-10-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by bradleys
Thanks guys, that was my thought as well. I picked up a new gasket along with the new Stator. I expect this to be at least a 6 pack job...
I expect this to be at least a 6 pack after the job ... Fixed it :>)

Old 09-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,229 Likes on 5,990 Posts

I have, but only on the cover side. I clean all surfaces well, check for any nicks or imperfections. I use a little RTV and put dabs around. Then take my finger and make a film all around the cover, place the gasket on, let it sit for few minutes, then install cover. Now I said create a film, more like making sure there is damn little on but enough to insure a seal. Never had an issue cleaning off the old.
Ive seen guys take and put a 1/4" rope bead all around, then wonder why they have this crap all over the inside!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I have, but only on the cover side. I clean all surfaces well, check for any nicks or imperfections. I use a little RTV and put dabs around. Then take my finger and make a film all around the cover, place the gasket on, let it sit for few minutes, then install cover. Now I said create a film, more like making sure there is damn little on but enough to insure a seal. Never had an issue cleaning off the old.
Ive seen guys take and put a 1/4" rope bead all around, then wonder why they have this crap all over the inside!!!
You wouldn't believe the goobered up rtv jobs I dealt with on old shovels and pans

Old 09-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

There is no place on a motorcycle where RTV is a good choice.

Well....maybe plugging a hole in a saddlebag or fairing or something like that...

Old 09-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Never have and not seen anyone do it either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you use RTV on the Primary cover gasket?