General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

2017 serious,dangerous vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM
rnrobert
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 serious,dangerous vibration

i have a 2017 low rider 1700 miles. this started last night didn't pay much attention was almost home but felt a vibration poor handling issue. went to ride today was about 15 minutes into my ride when the vibration / shake came back. i was heading to dealer anyway so i figured i would have them look at it. my ride to dealer is about 20 minutes. by the time i was almost to dealer the vibration/shake was so bad i was honestly afraid to go 40mph. seemed to be worse between 40 and 50 mph and 4th or 5th gear. felt like the bike was riding with a set of snow chains on the rear tire by the time i stopped. anyone ever have any issues like this. almost felt like rear tire had slipped and was now out of alignment but also had some shake from front end?
thanks rob

Old 09-21-2017, 07:01 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

What did the tech at the dealership tell you?

GM

Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 PM
rnrobert
Advanced

they wont look at it until tomorrow or Saturday. im a auto mechanic for last 25 years but first harley. i couldnt pinpoint the issue also hard while im riding it. vibration slowed down when i first applied clutch then came back in a few seconds. also with the clutch applied the front wheel seemed to shake some but there is alot more to this then a wheel shake. i think vibration is causing a number of issues why im having a hard time pinpointing it. it had gotten noticeably worse in a matter of 20 minutes. severe shake that would knock your teeth out lol.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:00 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

balancer shaft, primary chain tensioner, primary drive components, suspension, fork/swing bearing

soooo many and do not forget a crapola tire.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Have you checked tire air pressure lately?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 PM
rnrobert
Advanced

only has 1700 miles on it?

Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 PM
rnrobert
Advanced

i have and trust me its definitely not a tire if just for the fact that it started last night was fine the first 15 minutes today then progressively got worse . real bad to a unsafe feeling

Old 09-22-2017, 10:56 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

never say never. a cold tire acts diff from a warm tire. a long time ago i bought a bridgestone tire and it felt like riding on bubble gum, severe tread squirm.
one sacred secrete?!? is hd diff from auto mfg's? i think not, they buy tires a cheap as they can and even though it passes the dot requirements, they do have blemishes. from these, can come not so good tires. i had 5 blow outs on a 5th wheel trailer all under 6k miles due to forest river using crapola tires. thing is, can not tell from the outside. it seems a 32k trailer would warrant good tires, apparently their bean counters do not think so and to boot, the whole wheel assy is 200# over-loaded when fully loaded.

Last edited by bustert; 09-22-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 PM
rnrobert
Advanced
Default Picked up bike today

Said they fixed it. Tire pressure and steering bearings. No better took about 5 mins of riding to notice. Got worse warmer it got. Mostly 4 5th gears about 45. Did notice vinration almost stops with clutch ingaged. Then just slight tire wobble very slighy but like i said 95 percent gone. At its worse its so bad feels like your riding on rumble strips.feel it in handlebars seat and hand grips.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:18 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

apparently they did not ride it enough to check it. when you pull in the clutch and the engine idles down and it goes away sounds like a balance issue with balance shaft or primary tensioner.
wobble can come from excessive run out by the tire, rim or combination there of. also of note is tire balance. also issues can arise if the f/r tracking is off. if it hangs basically at one rpm range and changes when up/down then i would rule out eng issues and lean toward the rolling components.
has anyone looked at the rubber suspension?? that also could be rpm specific.

Quick Reply: 2017 serious,dangerous vibration