General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Weird almost non existent heat on my 103" Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 04:27 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Weird almost non existent heat on my 103" Fat Boy

Hi all,
after a few years hiatus from Harley scene I decided to get back to the brand and bought a used 2012 Fatboy with 4000 miles on odo. The bike is bone stock except for SE A/C and V&H big radius. Off course since my last Harley was a fully loaded (cam, PV, WPW fan, Jagg fan cooler,etc) 2011 FLHTP I naturally expect some extreme heat from my Fatboy as I experienced on my last Harley, went ahead and ordered Power Vision 2, TW-555, V&H Pro Pipe, Oilbud cooler, Captain Itch Crotch Cooler and Love Jugs fan. None of my toys arrived yet (I live in Indonesia) and me being me I still ride with shorts expecting to be have few burn spots on my right leg, to my surprise I feel none, even in gridlock traffic in Jakarta 90+ heat. Off course I feel some heat but it's nothing major that makes my leg sting, I am VERY comfortable with the heat generated even on my short. I know I am supposed to be happy with this and not complain, but this is actually the source of my worry now, I don't think this is normal at all!! I can't tell if the power is normal anymore by seat of the pants feeling because I am so used to crotch rocket during my hiatus from Harley but nothing abnormal in the way the engine runs. Even and smooth firing, flat powerband, no strange noise, no clatter, slight backfire on decel normal for untuned engine with such as short pipe....Seems like 100% of 103" rider out there complains about heat? Or is it not the case and once very now and then somebody get a stock bike that doesn't run hot like mine?? Please enlighten me folks! TIA

Old 11-12-2017, 04:35 AM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 237 Posts

My wife has a Switchback, and the heat was pretty bad. I added heat shields and it helped a bunch. I feel a little heat, but nothing uncomfortable on my fat boy. We had a lot of traffic at bike week, and it was never an issue.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:15 AM
uwiik
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Is your FB stock? Do you feel that your wife's switchback is a lot hotter than your FB? My 2011 FLHTP was so hot and it was one of the reason I left the brand, but off course not many can resist the temptation of a Harley for so long LOL !!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

the exhaust/air cleaner/tune on the '12 FB may have reduced the heat coming off it.